1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Help Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by s--dime, Feb 15, 2006.

1. s--dime

s--dime LawnSite Member

Hi me and a University buddy of mine are hoping to start a profitable lawn maintenance business this summer and was hoping some of you experienced pros out there could give us some tips. First we live in a city of 80,000 people and theres about 18 lawn maintenance companies some large some small is there still a market in this area for us? We plan on doing about 90% residential and a few smaller commercial accounts, most of the lots we will be doing will be in the neighborhood of 1500sq ft-4000sq.ft. How much equipment do you think we will be needing if were just running our 2 man crew, with an equipment and advertising budget of $3500? The average price in this area for a 1500 sq ft. cut and trim is about $25 what type of services should we try and promote to help drive up our average cost per customer? Also any tips in general would really help us out.
    Thanks and good luck to everyone this season!
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

first use the search button, many of your questions have been discussed many times...
    think hard about a partnership they never , hardly ever work out
    that is not very much start up money.... but if you shop for good used commercial equipment it will help
    make sure your licenced, and insured or commercial properties wont even look at you..

good luck:)
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

First with a budget of $3500.00 your not going to get much. Second make a business plan and charge accordingly. Make sure you have commercial insurance and lawn/landscape insurance. There are too many things to go over, do a search to find the rest. But honestly with only $3500.00 don't expect to go very far.
  4. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

i am guessing you will do what i did, back in the day.

Went to home deopt and walmart and bought cheap equipment. then worked you ass off. I will tell you this, you will work much harder than you have to by not having the proper equipment.
  5. s--dime

s--dime LawnSite Member

well we already have the work truck and a brand new 7x14 TA pace encolsed trailer.
  6. s--dime

s--dime LawnSite Member

So what and how much equipment do you guys think I will need if im looking to do 30 lots(1500sq ft.-4000sq.ft) twice a week with two guys. How much and what equipment will I be needing? Thanks
  7. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

i would try and find an old commercial wb or a commercial push mower that is self propelled, i would die if i had to push 30 lots. so there is about 2400 gone. and i would buy the nicest blower you could afford and the nicest whip you could afford. so there is another 1000 gone then for advertising i would sit down and make personalized quotes for every lawn you want to pick up. from my expeirence that works better than just passing out flyers to everyone, if the people can see everything they have to pay for all broken down so they understand they will be more understanding of the price. but flyers dont hurt either...
  8. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

if i was you i would sell the enclosed trailer for some more cash and load the mower and everything in the back of the truck, just a thought...
  9. s--dime

s--dime LawnSite Member

Thanks Jacob the idea of having ready made quotes for lots is an awesome idea.
  10. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

don't forget stuff like weed eater string, blades, oil, and other small items.

they can start to add up if not budgeted.

also helps to have more than one of stuff just in case one brakes, and hate to see two guys on a job and one guy working other not.