Need some help on a new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wacaweed, Apr 17, 2007.

1. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

I have a guy that wants a 150ft X 125ft lawn installation the lawn is 2 yrs old and is still dirt. Keeping in mind I would have to rent a tractor and power rake of some sorts what would everyone think about charging. The lot is fairly level only one or two spots that I would level out and also he wants it fertilized and some topsoil worked in. I would be using a tall fescue like Lesco's Transition. Any and all input is apreciated. JOE:hammerhead:

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

need more info, sod, seed, hydroseed? Irrigation always helps? More info please...

3. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

It is seed I will be using Lesco's Transition seed and no irrigation just a till, level, seed, fert and straw

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

from SD

Without seeing the job to be completley sure i would probally come in around $3400. I usually get around $1.50-1.75 per sq foot to seed, and start a lawn, that includes: seed, fertlizer, light grading, and also a follow up fertilizing

5. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

Thats why I figured I better do some research, I have done seeding before but nothing to this scale and I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot. :usflag:

6. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

from SD

Not a problem, around here I get between 2.00 and 2.25 for laying sod per sq ft, but I would double check with your sod supplier...

7. 9Tman

9Tman LawnSite Member

I recentlyl fertilized my lawn, and apparently did not overlap enough to the point that it left streaks. Any suggestions on how to fix this, or am I screwed until next year?

8. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Can I assume you were using a drop spreader? I would invest in a broadcast spreader. Even if you are only doing your own property, do your self a favor and get a quality spreader.

Granular urea (46-0-0) would help. The only way to remove the stripes is time and additional fertilizer.

Using a broadcast spreader instead of a drop spreader greatly reduces the chances of having streaks. You can put down additional fert after a few weeks but only put down 1/2 - 1 lb of Nitrogen / 1000 sqft per time to help reduce the stripes. Put down fert before it rains so it will leach into the ground faster correcting the problem. Do go crazy because more fert is not always better. Too much nitrogen and you will have even more problems.

Hope this helps.

9. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

If you looking to till / power rake, you might look at our 9-hp Revitalizer. It can till / power rake down to 2" deep breaking up and leveling out the property. Once it is level, turn on the seed flow and power seed the entire property. Make sure you only set the blades 1/2" deep max when seeding or it will put the seed too deep.

It would probably take you about 2-3 hrs with 1 person to do this job with our machine. Just make sure the ground is dry to is will breakup and rough ground instead of making a muddy mess.

Our machine has also shown to reduce time on the job by 40% due to speed and maneuverability.

Hope this helps.