Need some help on an estimate.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NNJLandman, Dec 13, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Estimate for wall:

Need a little help from the hardscape gurus...trying to figure out this wall. The wall goes from 19" to 41" high and is 56 foot long. Now my problem is figuring out the amount of block I need, the wall is even all the way across but built into a hill so as you walk along the wall it goes from tall to short. Can someone give me a bit of help. Planning on using versa-lok standard block, the material calculator said I needed 393 block, I got that by coming up with an average among the height in the wall...not sure if thats right. Lemme know what yall might charge for a job like this thanks.

Thanks

Jeff

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am basicly self taught on every thing down to estimating. What i do on grade changes say 50' long and changing from 2-6:. I would measure length 10' at 2' , maybe next length of only 7' at 3 and balance of wall in these incriments. Its tough to figure but i have always been close and never lost money yet. And maybe figure a small % more. I cant help you with versa loc because i dont use the product. Im sure there will be more posts and maybe more helpful of what i explained.
    Mike

3. evergreenlandscapes

evergreenlandscapes LawnSite Member

In a nutshell......Without going into Math and Geometry 101, you have 147 true face feet of wall to build. That does not take into consideration cuts ,curves , waste,etc.Versa Loks website claims the standard wall unit is
    6" x 16".So...
    Each wall unit is .67 square feet/per block. You will need approx. 219 blocks + caps to build this wall. That will probably be a little more than you need , but I would rather have a little extra than not enough. This is all true of course if the wall is what you said it was. For the future , break it down into square feet and square inches if you need to. Makes it easier Hope it helps . As far as how much, cant divulge our pricing structure but do a search and you will find others that will.

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Thats a pretty simple wall, just get an Idea of what you want to make and how long it will take you to make it. I would probabbly just figure 36" tall on average to be safe with grading and burying the first course or so. Or actually you gotta figure either 34" or 40" if you include the cap block, but anyway you got about 168 face foot of wall to build. Personally I wont touch a wall for less than $15 a foot installed, and am usually between 20 and 30 depending on what type of versa lok and how much grading to do. with a 3 foot wall though, there shouldnt be alot of grading to do, so I would possibly be about $20.00 a foot for standard unweathered V-lok, and a few bucks more for weathered standard and even a few more say 27.50 for mosaic. So for standard unweathered V-lok I would possibly be around 3360.00 if it was a days work for three of us, and that is about how long it should take.

Not telling you what to do but if it were me I would probabbly order 6 cubes of standard block, 1 cube of cap block , 4 tons base, 5 tons clean stone (#57),a few peices of preforated pipe, case of adhesive, couple bags of pins and go to work. Then return the 7 pallets and a few blocks when you are finished and call it a good days work

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in doubt of your total blocks. Tonight i put on my glasses and seen your wall was not 19'. :hammerhead:
    Mike

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Factor in one block on average is buried you will require 228 blocks plus caps.
    Just send me 10% of your job profit, and we'll call it even. OK

7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I appreciate everyones response,

GroundScapesInc....I'm a little confused at your pricing, I've figured out the job to be more around $5000.00 and definently to take more then a day, even if I had 2 guys plus myself....theres no way we could install this in a day...the removal and prep. would be at the least a day.

Jeff

8. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

NNJ, your $5000.00 is about right for the wall, not sure what prep is involved, I have no idea what that Grounds inc. guys is talking about and I wouldnt listen to a thing he is saying... 1st off, hes telling you to order (6) skids of the wall stone, well each skid has 48 blocks @1.5 sq ft per so your talking 72 sq. ft per skid... figure the wall around 140-165 sq. so you need like 2 + skids, I havent a clue where he came up with (6) skids. nothing like stockpiling 3.5 skids at you house. even if the wall was 56' x 40'' you would only have 196 sq, but you said it goes from 19'' and up so I figure around 150 sq. an for you, yes its probably a 2-3 day job, but we could do it in 1 day if we hustled...

paps

9. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

NNJ, check that, you would need (5-6) pallets, I made and error on the calc. for the pallet, each pallet has 32 sq. ft to it, NOT 72, so you would need 5-6 pallets as Grounds said, and I apologize for that error Grounds, your calcs were correct.

10. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

What is it that confuses you? I just reread my post and it seems pretty simple to understand to me.
    As for the pricing, I never said that you should charge 3300, But what I did do is answer your question "let me know what yall might charge for a job like this".
    Like I said I would probabbly be around 3300 for a days work. If you need to make 5000 on the job, then that is what you should charge. especially if you will be there for more than a day. But a 3' wall and only 200-240 block to lay, we would have the wall done by lunch and only have grading, seedin, cleanup to do after lunch. (depending on how much grading to do before we could start the wall).