Need Some Help On Shrub Removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Leisure Time Lawn Care, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Leisure Time Lawn Care

Leisure Time Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I Have One Of My Lawn Clients Contact Me Today And Wants Me To Remove Some Shrubs In His Back Yard. They Are Medium Sized And I Will Have To Dig Them Up By Hand (cannot Get Any Equipment Through Gate) I Am Also Going To Have To Bring In Some Dirt To Fill In The Holes And Level Out.

I Was Wondering How Much To Charge?? Do I Charge By The Bush Or By The Job.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If it was my client I would tell them that type of job is based on T&M.
    Let them know your labor rate and do your best to estimate the time and materials required to finish the project.

3. Leisure Time Lawn Care

should I use the same lobor rate as cutting lawns?????

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Depends on your market, around here a mowing company can be found on every corner but a tree company is harder to come by so you can charge more for those types of services.

5. Leisure Time Lawn Care

Thanks For The Info Wells

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

what size gate?

there are a few mini-skids (i.e. dingo) that can fit through 36" gates. Would save a bunch on back breaking labor.

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would definatley look into a dingo or other mini skid. It would save you alot of time and labor.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another option is this...Arfe there any other trees in the back? If so, a come-along is a wonderful device, and we've used one on several cases for this sort of thing. Make sure to wrap the tree so no scarfing is done, and buy yourself a mattok to help you along. A mattock (also known as a forester's axe), is a valuable tool. It is like an axe that has a pick-like blade going the other way (horizontal) on the other side. This is a destruction tool and works well for cutting roots. You will still have some digging to do, but not NEARLY as much work going through roots with the come-along.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i take fence sections down all the time to fit equiptment in, try that route rent a machine $250, dig'em up, charge them alot. should be making at least $500/day with a machine like that (unfortunatley including the rental) plus materials. sure you could up the price

10. Leisure Time Lawn Care

well I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are a total of 12 little bushes that need to be removed (5 in front yard and 7 in the back) I also have to build a berm in place of the shrubs. I figuring on about 2-3 yards of top soil will do it.
    I am charging them $450.00 I figure about 4-5 hours for me and another guy to do it. What you guys think???? To high or to low