1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some help on Suspension and Plow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by jdjoe_97, Mar 10, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I am going to start plowing next winter. I have a 98' Chevy Silverado 2500. First question, does anyone have suggestions on the best plow for this particular truck. I really like the Boss V, but I don't like the price. I found a Myers 7.5' two years old for $1650 but I don't know if I want this for sure. I was thinking that I should get an 8.5' plow. Also what can I do on the Chevy to eliminate front end sag. I had a dodge and was going to use air bags on the front, but this chevy has independant front suspension so I am a little bewildered. Thanks for any help guys. Joe
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Joe - check the thread "Front suspension question" by brimow, it's on pg 2 right now. Basically it's a matter of cranking up the torsion bars on the IFS front end, it's explained there. If your truck has an automatic, don't forget about a good trans cooler!

As for the plow, the Meyer might be a little on the light side if you're going to be doing commercial plowing. (No bashing going on here, just want to make sure you don't get something that won't stand up to your intended use!) I'll let others more qualified answer your questions about the V-plow & 8.5 blade - though I am wondering if the Boss V will be a little heavy for a 2500?

[Edited by 75 on 03-10-2001 at 03:53 PM]

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

The 8'2" Boss V would be an excellent match, as well as the Western and Fisher V. If you go with a straight blade make sure its not a 7.5, go at least 8', no matter the brand.

I really like the Boss v on my 3/4 ton Ford. If you get a V, of any make, you will probably never buy another straight blade!

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I'm sure you know, but if you run a keyword search you will get tons of good advice on different setups and plow brands. You could spend all weekend reading good advice.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You didnt mention if you had 6 or 8 lug wheels,if you have 6 lug,they wount mount a 8'2"V on it for sure,you need a little 7'6" bossV-i d jst go with a western straight 8 ft pro plow-just because its much lighter than theFisher 8 fter.If you have 8 lug wheels-you can hang whatever you want on there basically up to 9 ft.If you crank the bars,dont go more than 3 turns-itll start to handle funny and ride hard.Do you have the snow plow prep? pgk ,in the glovebo itll say VYU in the option codes,along with F60.If you have VYU then you already ahve aux tranny cooling,and the plow should nt sag it out to bad.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i plow with a 2000 chevy silverado 1500. we have a 7.5 fischer on the front. it sagged in the front, so we put in a rubber piece in the suspension made by TIMBREN. they are called loadbusters. AW Direct sells them. they install in minutes and eliminated the front end sag. as for the plow, i havent heard too many good things about meyer. id go with a boss,fischer or even a curtis.
  7. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

You could get a pair of coil over shocks for the front end, it'll help a little in addition to cranking the torsion bars. Be ready to replace some of the front end components. I love my GMC but the front end has put a dent in my pocket a few times. It's a six lug 2500, if yours is 8 maybe you'll have better luck. If you want a used plow wait, there will be a lot of them for sale soon. You have a lot of time before next winter don't buy something unless you like it and the price.
  8. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I would not put a heavy blade on that truck do to the weak front ends of GMs. On my 97, I spent $1,500 on the front end of my 1 ton with a 9 ft Western. In cranking up the torsion bars do not help with the rest of the front suspension, it may hold plow better but the parts do not like the weight. Maybe the new GM trucks are better.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have to disagree, a sub with a dodge has spent way more at 60K than I have have in the same milage with my 98 one ton. Both were one ton Cab and chassis.
  10. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Do you have the 4X4 cab chasis or the two wheel drive with the solid I beam.