1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help on this rebuild.

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Grits, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am fixing up this pressure washer that was given to me. It has a Yanmar diesel single cylinder engine mated to a Cat Pump model 510. I have got the engine running fine. But I don't know a whole lot about pumps. When I run water through it, it leaks out of the bottom....where the plungers are...by the oil resevoir. What would cause this? Hope I explained it good enough. If not, let me know and I will post some pics. Thanks for the help.

2. squirtgun

squirtgun LawnSite Member

Grits,
    It sounds like the pump needs a rebuild.New seals,packing etc.
    I tried to find some info on the 510 and came up empty.If it is teh same series as the 520 you should be able to get parts for a rebuild,but Cat part are notoriously expensive vs. mating it to saya general or AR pump.
    A new pump can be bought for about $420 and should last many years if well maintained.

Give Bob a call ovre @ www.pressuretek.com and see if he can give you some help.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yeah...I pulled it apart tonight. One of the ceramic sleeves is completely broken and another is cracked. I priced those out on comparable models and they are around $50 each. Also a seal retainer is broken...that's around $40. I believe I may just try to get a different pump. At least that way the entire thing will be new.
    Another question.....Between the pump and the engine is a gearbox. How will I know what will bolt up to that and have the correct shaft size? Should I take the pump completely off and be ready to measure whatever I need to in order to find another pump? Thanks!