Need some help/opinions on a sprayer/spreader.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by nobagger, Oct 6, 2012.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Hey guys, need some help making a decision on what set up to purchase. I'll just get to the details to help you, help me. Going to go into fert. a bit more next season. Right now the only thing I use (and need to use) is a new Lesco 80lb hopper spreader and sub out my liquid applications. My hopes are to obviously build my customer base to enough that I can fert. at least 3 days/week all day b/c I still have to run a f/t mowing crew. I know I don't "need" a liquid spray tank set up but from what I've read and heard, I will get much better results. So the real question I have is do I go with a spray tank (more for the weed control application) and keep using the push spreader or bite the bullet and start looking into a ride on spreader that does both. A 300 gallon Lesco tank all set up is going to cost me around 4500.00 and from what I've seen on line etc. a rider spreader that does liquid too is going to cost me anywhere from 8-10k. In our area there is TG/CL, Perf-A-Lawn, both of which don't have a good reputation and a couple local guys who just fert. but they are pricey compared to the other two. I want to fall somewhere just under the local guys and just above the other two and so far with the lawns I do I'm right there and making a good profit. Any help is much appreciated.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you need a 300 gal unit, 200 is fine--unless you intend to mix urea in the water. Probably allows you to carry a spreader and more dry fert also. Gregson clark makes some good ones. Make sure you get a good guarantee.

3. nobagger

from Pa

Thanks for the input. Do you think I might be better off with a ride on spreader/sprayer or a liquid tank and maybe keep my eyes open for a good price on just a ride on spreader eventually. Thanks again!

4. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

In your situation I would just get a tank, untill you build up enough of a customer base to justify a rider. With a tank you can put your pre, fert and herbicide down with one stop. In the past we did very little granular fert, that is until this year when I got an Lt. Rich.. The only downfall for me is dry fert is about $1.30 per 1,000 cost compared to urea's $.38 per 1,000. we also handled 250 customers with a 300 gal. tank.... This is just my opinion and to give you an idea of what a tank is capable of doing.

5. nobagger

from Pa

Good info, thank you very much!

6. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Q So why can't you just spread the .38 per th fert in stead of melting it ?

Charles Cue

7. nobagger

from Pa

Hopefully my Lesco dealer is open today so I can ask a few questions. They've been more than helpful when it comes to setting up a fert. program and advice on what to use.