1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please! How do I get rid of very thick Ivy?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by letzgoblues, May 13, 2010.

1. letzgoblues

letzgoblues LawnSite Member
    from StL

The Ivy is growing manily on the ground. The roots seem very thick and I am not sure how anything else would even grow there. Thanks

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

What type of Ivy? English--Boston?
    IS this in a bed or bare root around grass and trees.?

If there is no sprinkler system involved or no large trees to obstruct your work, then roto till up the area, rake out the material and roots. The procedure of removing stems,roots, and those rhizomes will not be a one time you are done job. A customer likes ivy but the long term effects of their growth habits can be troublesome. A 2-3 time visit will need to be allowed and yearly maintenance to keep it out is needed. Herbicides will help as long as you are licensed for hire. If you are a homeowner doing it for your own pleasure then go a head and do your own property.

3. letzgoblues

from StL

The ivy is in a wooded area in the backyard of one of my clients. The area is about 8ft by 10ft and there is a large tree and other bushes surrounding the ivy. The ivy is also around the tree and bushes. It is very overgrown with other weeds and poison ivy as well. There is a wooden bench buried in the ivy according to the customer. I don't think I could roto till it because of the tree roots. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the info Think Green!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Elbow grease. That is not a very big area. You could have it pulled out in an hour. I have yanked so much groundcover this year, it's becoming ordinary.

Do NOT run a tiller thru it....that'll just make a mess and additional work. Start at one spot and begin the process- yank, pull, maybe use a steel spade or a sod knife (long handled tool) to help you strip it. You're just gonna have to go to work on it by hand. Again, that area should not take long.

5. letzgoblues

from StL

Won't that just leave the roots in the ground and then the ivy will return in a couple weeks? Thanks for the suggestion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. letzgoblues

from StL

Posted via Mobile Device

7. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

I've done a ton of these.....bobcat down 4-6 inches. Bring in new topsoil and make a lawn. The grass will supress anything that might try to come up..if you do see anything left...pull it before it becomes a problem...I wouldn't waste time or money on herbicide...you can pour it straight on and sometimes it does nothing....

8. letzgoblues

from StL

Can't get a bobcat in the yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

How about a Dingo?

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat?? Dingo????? The area is 8x10!!!!!

Start pulling. You can get 90% of it out. Explain to the customer that you can get that much out but some might pop up...and then that can be pulled. This isn't rocket science.

As you pull, you will find the central roots. Focus on digging them out.