Need some help please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by statman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do fertilizing or problem diagnosis, I just mow for some older folks in town. I mow an older neighbor's lawn and it looked great the past couple of years. However, this year it looks really bad. He has an irrigation system that he runs early (4-5am start) every day. He and the house next door use the same fertilizing company (tru-Green/ChemLawn I think). The neighbor's yard looks good. The guy's I mow looks like it is dying, brown spots and dead grass everywhere.

Can any of you offer any suggestions?

073006_1242a.jpg

2. statman

another shot of the yard

073006_1240a.jpg

3. statman

here's another pic

073006_1302a.jpg

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Has it been hot and humid in Ohio? Dollarspot is a common disease under such conditions. It will clear up after a few weeks of cool weather.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Dollar spot? Comon....Helen Keller wouldnt even have said Dollar Spot.

Looks like some sort of Mildew. I love the way it tracked with the wheels.

I dunno....something is going on. I wouldn't rule out an abiotic situation either.

How does the lawn that you mow next on your schedule look. The one previous?

Oh.....and have him call TGCL. If he's paying for fertilizing he is also paying for diagnosis and free service calls.

6. statman

The yard next door looks great. It is a different type of grass, though... This one is very fine, narrow blades; the one next door is a wider blade grass.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like dry turf,my 2 cents.

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the lawns I have recently treated for Pythium Blight. Look at them in the morning (after a hot, humid night with temps +70 and dew points +70). You are looking for the mycelium.

Check this thread:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=153684

9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Good call Brian.

Looks like you're on the case.

Seeing any results? Those kinds of diseases are hard to control I would imagine especially if weather patterns remain consistent.

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I did an application of Mancozeb. Favorable conditions did last past 7 days, but the pythium stayed arrested. And now as you know, favorable conditions have passed.

It's Mike BTW :D

Statman: Pythium will follow mower tracks and drainage patterns. Seeing the mycelium is the only way to be sure.