1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Poncho25, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so this lady called me up the other day to prep, re-edge and mulch all her bed areas. She is not one of my clients and currently she has a guy who does her lawn for the past 3 years at 60.00 per month!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

anyway. I measured out a total of 1,045 sq.ft. Around 6.5cu.yds.
    I figured I would charge around 60 - 75 per yard installed & delievered. But does that include cleaing out the exsisting stuff? She wants about an inch to an inch an half removed from whats there so its not so built up high, as well as the edging re-defined. Would I just charge an hourly rate for this as well? I am a bit lost as to what to charge here and any advice as to what you guys do, would be greatly apreciated!
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If it's very minimal clean-up i just leave it at that price. If it's a lot of clean-up and edging i usually just up the charge to 80.00 to 85.00 a yard installed.
  3. Poncho25

so about 85 a yard installed would include cleaning out whats existing there, do you guys also tack on an hourly charge for all this also? I am thinking its going to take 2 guys about 4-6 hours to complete this. I am listing 6 hours and if it takes less she only pays for the hours worked, if it takes more then she doesn't pay more then the 6 hours that I estimated it at.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hell no, I just spray weeds with round up, spread the mulch 1-2 inches thick, remove nothing, charge $50 cu.yd., throw the edging in for free and be done with it lol, not my fault past Lco spread it too thick, the stuff will decompose thou, no biggie.
  5. Poncho25

There really isn't an issue with weeds, but yeah that was going to be done. Her husband is the one who did the mulch the past few years and she stated that he removed the top layer or would like it done. So you saying don't bother with the removal and just build up on top of it to save her money? Also do you charge per hour for this type of thing along with the $50 cuyd installed?
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive always bougth bagged mulch.... So I would figure out how many bags needed and double the price... hourly for removing top layer plus dump fee.
  7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Replacement mulch can be a profitable side job, and an excellent way to keep busy when your slow, thats when we do all of ours. Keep in mind, mulching should be at least 2 inches thick and no more than 4 inches. If it is not within these specs, it will not be a weed free barrier that it is intended to be. In other words, its your clients money being thrown away, and its busy work weeding them out. Good Luck!
  8. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

charge for the mulch and charge for the cleanup and edging. The time it takes VS what you can get for doing it will be two different things.

May take only a short time to do the edging and cleanup based on equipment being used but you may be able to sell it for a nice profit.

Sell the value of your service, not the price