1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help Pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by QTM, Apr 2, 2012.

1. QTM

QTM LawnSite Member

Hello Folks! Farily new to the landscaping business and from Kansas. Just needing some advice on how to bid a few of my jobs. I need to figure out how to bid my jobs better to better my profits.

The job i looked at today, i think could be fairly profitable if i can get this right. Includes mulching of beds and De weeding and if i had to guess i would say about 12-15 yards of mulching for the entire property,removal of 2 dead arborvitae, tree trimming, fixing of two sprinkler heads. lots of littler stuff.

So my question is do i want to break this down or put this into an hour rate. There will be 2 guys on this job. Any advice would be of great help. Thanks

2. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Hi QTM, sounds like a routine mulch job really. What I do is charge "X" amount per yard of mulch on top of delivery + mulch amount.

EXAMPLE: (remember prices are different everywhere, so dont neccesarily go by this)

So labor for install/bed prep would be something like: $30-32 per yard installed x 15yards. (not including the mulch obviously)

So for 15 yards you would want to make something like: $450-500 on install and a little bed prep. you can always charge more for edging if there is alot to be done too.
    Remember, you still should be making a decent amount off of the mulch itself with your discount too.

Charge what you want for the other stuff...but you should have a set rate for your mulch jobs IMO

15 yards of mulch shouldnt take long to move with 2 people if beds arent 100 yards apart! So definitely dont charge hourly

good luck

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

On the mulching alone, I would charge a minimum of 700 labor!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. QTM

QTM LawnSite Member

From what i have been seeing in my area, $55-$75 per yard for the mulch. Does that sound about right? I know places are different like you said. I guess i could break it up and do a hourly on every thing else. Thanks guys for your response!!!

5. QTM

QTM LawnSite Member

What do you guys charge for dirt work? One of my cutomers needs about a ton or so of top soil brought in and graded in her front yard. Due to a 100 year old cotton wood. How does some of your price this?

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

On the dirtwork material + trucking plus 10%. Then one man hour per yard to spread it. A job like this I would have a minimum bill unless you were there doing the other work. As for mulch, in my area that is almost double the contractor price at the local yard.

7. QTM

QTM LawnSite Member

Sorry on the price 55-75 price i meant thats labor. Material is any where from 25-35 a yard.

8. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

from VA

700 seems a tad bit high to me just for labor for a regular 15 yard mulch job. 15 yards with 2 people isnt that much, assuming normal conditions. But every company is different I guess. We get Our premium hardwood cheap, so that factors in too.
    Our mulch charge is $71/yard for mulch and labor, not including delivery and edging.

I know of 3 large companies (friends)in my area that charge 35 per yard for labor as well, plus edging/delivery charge.

And youre right, my math was incorrect too....
    If I were charging for labor plus charging for edgingI guess I would be at 600 for labor. :hammerhead:

9. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

from VA

$75 per yard for labor alone?? I dont care where you live, thats high.
    If you mean for mulch and labor....that sounds more reasonable.