need some help w/ the 48, again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

a while back i put a new transmission on my 48' because mine was hopping really bad as in it would sotp and go w/ out me doing anything (this was only in 5th gear) well my new transmission worked really well but it hops now to, i really don't think i just got unluck and got 2 bad transmissions, also this transmision i have now (the new one) is having major problems shiftting, like it really is painful to shift with my knee =( ALSO both this and the last transmision are slower than they should be, b/c my 36 will burn the 48 and i ran a friends 48 exactly like mine but w/ the advantage deck and it is alot faster than mine, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Is it a Hydro? If it is you may have oil flow problems that are not related directly to the trans. Maybe a line with trash in it?
    If it is a belt drive, I would replace the drive belt. Sounds like that they are running way too loose. This would explain the "hopping" If 5 th gear is the only gear it hops in sounds like it is a belt drive. Remember, that is the fastest gear it has and if the belts arent right, they will slip.
    Has your dealer checked it out? Is it still under warranty? If it is, it is thier problem, not yours.

3. Orkin Yards

i want to add that when it does the hopping sometimes it plain stops and you can hear this clicking sound and the handles kinda shake, it sounds like a gear grinding type thing but i know its something w/ the handles b/c the shake, and by the way it is a belt drive....

4. deason

deason LawnSite Member

The grinding sound may be the 2 axles that go into the sides of the transmission. They may be all but stripped. The grinding sound you hear may be the splines on these stafts trying to grab.
    Sounds like major problems. I wouldnt run until you find out exaxtly what it is, you may do alot more harm.

5. Orkin Yards

are you talking about the couplers? or the actuall splines on the tranny?

6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

The coupler and the shaft. They may both be stripped.

7. Orkin Yards

ok thanks for the help, BUT if this is the case, why would it only skip when its in 5th gear,? and any ideas why its so dificult to shift gears??

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a bad tranny to me. Are you shifting on the fly w/ a velke?? Could be a damaged shift key inside the tranny or damaged fifth gear. ED

9. Orkin Yards

ok what might cause the mower to go slower than most mowers of the exact same spedifications?

10. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Check your enginge RPM. Also, check the tranny model #. It's on the plate right in the center that faces you as you mow. Some go 4.5 max some go 6.5 max. I think the 700 026 goes the fastest.