Need some help with this lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BLC1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm not sure what is going on here. This started a couple months ago and I was thinking it might back after the drought finally broke. I was pulling on the grass and it didnt seem like anything was chewing at the roots or shoots. A few pieces would come out with ease but for the most part it is just longer grass that is laying over and completely browned out.

1345551483500.jpg

1345551476587.jpg

1345551292006.jpg

1345551235787.jpg

1345551225882.jpg

1345551220049.jpg

2. BLC1

from Ohio

Anybody have ideas on this?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fungal diseases do that to grass... also an abundance of water on greasy soil will cause roots to be in that condition...

4. BLC1

from Ohio

What would you recommend putting down on the lawn. I can't remember running into any fungal diseases over the last couple of years.

5. MTC314

MTC314 LawnSite Member

Looks to me that what ever fungus was present did its thing and is done for the season. I would just keep my eye on it and see if it continues to spread. If it seems to be done just power seed those areas and it will fill in before the season is over. If it seems to be getting worse I would go to your local supplier and buy a fungicide.

6. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like old pythium rootrot. Some 8-10-10 should recover this. Only thing is these areas look mechanical damage also. Any chance someone did a miss treatment?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Careful with turning right to synthetic fungicides. I have been dealing with Necrotic Ring Spot and found fungicides totally ineffective in trying to contain this fungal.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It may not even be a fungal disease, that is just a possibility to consider... living thatch could be at the core of the problem, in that shallow roots and unhealthy plants live there already... I would look at the living thatch issue and soil conditions first... as stated, fungicides may not even help... doing more looking and analyzing the situation may be called for...

9. BLC1

from Ohio

I was reading about plythium root rot this morning and it sounds like that is caused by the ground being over saturated. We are far from that this summer. We haven't had any rain for months up until a couple of weeks ago.

These spots were starting to show up about 6 weeks ago. They turned a little worse since then. I would rule out miss treatment because we actually help off on doing anything because of the drought for quite a while.

10. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry. What type of turf, what geography. These things matter. It could be simply meltout du to a complete flop in the environment. Extremely dry to extremely wet. All hybrid turf varieties suffer this. Its part of being hybrid and not native.
    Posted via Mobile Device