need some help with tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbannick18, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a john deere gs30. I recently bought tires to replace my old ones in the back. Is there an easy way to get the old tire off the rim to put the new one on? I called the store and they wanted about $240.00 just for 2 tires with tire and rim which is ridiculous. So any advice would be helpful :)

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Take them to your tire store.
    I bought a Turf Master tire yesterday for my Exmark cost 63 dollars.
    It was a 24X12 something.
    I wasn't charged for unmounting the old tire or mounting the new one.
    I do all my business there.
    However, it shouldn't cost very much to have it done.

You can try screwdrivers and soapy water if you want to DIY.

3. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere charges on everything. Thx for the advice though

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Windex and a large screwdriver and mallet in a pinch. Soapy water works too.
    Not fun.
    Deflate tire
    Break tire bead with mallet Use mallet when needed for any of the below.
    wedge screwdriver under sidewall of tire
    pry sidewall over rim
    use soapy water to reduce friction
    Pull screwdriver around tire rim to release it until you have one sidewall completely off the rim
    repeat for other sidewall.

Use soapy water all around rim, start the new tire on, use mallet for last bit. Repeat for other sidewall.

The problem you have now mounting the new tire is creating a bead to seal the tire.

Lots of air pressure [volume] and your belt, that hold up your pants, [it works in a pinch]

Tighten the belt down around the tire to push sidewalls to rim, while airing the tire up.

Or take it to a tire store. Small wheel usually don't fit on the machine, however they will do it.
    Lawn mower shops will mount tires too.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Remove tire and wheel, deflate , use a method you choose to break the beads loose. Drive large pipe in ground that the wheel center hole will slide down over. Then drive another rod or small pipe in the ground through one of the bolt holes.

Use a iron bar (old crow bar will work) to slide under the upper bead (lubricate the bead) . When you get the first bead over the wheel do the lower bead.

Before mounting the new tire clean the rim with a wire brush and lubricate the beads . If you use soap just rub it on dry from a bar. Soap and water will rust the rim to the beads.

Remove the valve core to allow the largest volume of air to flow into the tire. Another method to seat the beads is a piece of rope tied around the circumference of the tire and a piece of pipe -- use it like a tourniquet.

Nosmo

6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

7. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Any tire shop will do this for and charge you about $5-10 a tire.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I bough a tire changer form Harbor Freight. Worth every penny!

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are going to do your own i have the magic trick for lube. get plain white hand cleaner with no pumice. it works better than the stuff the tire store has, keeps your hands from getting nasty, and is slicker than snot when put on a lawn mower tire.