1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some help with White Grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kappa915, Feb 10, 2006.

1. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

I have been doing a lot of research about the life cycles of masked chafers, japanese beetles, and june beetles. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a straight answer of when to apply an insecticide for control ( I understand that there is a threshold before any action needs to be taken). When we do have a problem we plan on putting down Merit .5% Granular down.

For control of these 3 species when is the best time to apply. I have heard that Merit has good residual as long as it is watered in(possibly up to 8 months?).

It seems that to control masked chafers you need to apply in May? And for Japanese Beetles and June Beetles you should wait until around July? If that is the case would it be okay to but it down in May for all three species, because of the residual affects(6-8 months)? Need some help with guys as I don't want to screw it up.

I'm located in north Georgia.

Thanks Alot

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Go to your local lesco dealer and tell em whatz up.
  3. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Identify the exact grub that you're going to be facing.. The months recommended are rough guesses.. the window could be 2-3 weeks earlier or later. I have some documentation around here somewhere on the topic.. I'll see if I can locate it.
  4. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

5. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Understand there is a difference between a control (dylox) and preventer (Merit or Mach II). Our preventer goes down in Mid May, but in your area it would be somewhat sooner I would think. Check extension office or with your supplier. Control only goes down if you have a problem.