need some help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by korelandscaping, Aug 14, 2006.

1. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

I've done some landscape lighting at my house and about 6 other customers over the last couple of years. I've been researching this forum on lighting and I must say..it's impressive. I have a customer that I have to give a quote to and I'm looking for some advice. I've dealt with Nightscaping products and I'm not to impressed. The transformer that I installed last season broke after 4 weeks after the install and the local supply house didn't really help out. I bit the bullet and bought another one for the customer so needless to say I would rather stay away from that brand. I will be landscaping this house within the next month because as you will see, the builder did a lovely job for this 700K house?? Any advice would help...thanks

100_1542.jpg

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

are you planning to add lighting to your services or is this a once in a blue moon type thing ? If you dont plan to do much I would sub it out and walk away smiling with the refferal fee all for making a phone call.

There are a few good designers who will work with you if you can get plot plans for a nominal fee. I can reffer you to one If you like. A house like this definatly needs some lighting... Whats your plans with the landscape that will play a huge role. Maybe need to sleeve some or prewire some.

I did a nightscaping project with client supplied lighting (family member worked for nightscaping or a dist or something) and it seemed like quality stuff. I preffer Cast and Im just starting to use kichler some too. I really like the Cast and Kichler transformers. Get with a distributor and look at some lines.

3. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

All manufacturers have good fixtures and bad fixtures. Its the service you get when you get bad fixtures that should determine what brand you use. Warranties also play a big part. It sounds to me like the distributor you chose did not help you. I have been putting Nightscaping systems in for 18 years and have never had a issue with warranty. I have had to replace 6 transformers out of approx. 400. If you had an issue with them I would call Bill Locklin himself and tell him what happened and he would make it right. If you put any aluminium fixture in the ground,any brand it will not last. Copper or brass. Period. Service after the sale. Call Nightscaping and tell them how you feel and stay away from that distributor.

4. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

"All manufacturers have good fixtures and bad fixtures"

Most not all. there you go again esker sell sell sell. sell lvlia, sell nightscaping. natural born salesman. I got a pair a dirty ole work boots you can sell I bet you get top dollar. I throw in a pair of soiled boxers and I bet you make a killing.

5. korelandscaping

from ct

eskerlite..you are correct about the vendor. I had to wait over two weeks for the lights to come in and they totally screwed up my order. I guess I'm giving nightscaping a bad rap because of the vendor but that's the way it usually goes unfortunatly. I went back to the vendor a few weeks after the issue and they no longer carried nightscaping products?? I was dealing with a rather large electrical supply house in the area that only had one person in their staff that had any knowledge. I would much rather deal with a large vendor online that I can order through and have the shipment available a few days later.
    Pro-scapes... I would like to offer lighting as another service in the future. I've seen the work of several lighting contractors in the area and I never saw a lighting job that "wowed" me. I guess my work is already pretty good or their work isn't?? The homeowner already had a walkway and an irrigation system installed which makes sleeving a little difficult. I plan to cut out a couple grout lines in the flagstone and sleeving pipe underneath. I'll attach an image of the proposed landscaping that I quickly put together last night around 1am?? At least this way you have an idea of my style. Thanks

1.JPG

6. desert night light

from AZ

"I went back to the vendor a few weeks after the issue and they no longer carried nightscaping products??"

Kore that's not unusual at all, you see nightscaping is a dinosaur and a dying breed. Here in AZ you would be hard pressed to find them at all anymore at any distributor. They have had more fixtures fail in the fail then any manufacturer combined. At one time they were the only game in town In fact if it wasn't for those contractors brainwashed like esker they would not exist at all.

7. korelandscaping

from ct

What do you guys think about going to a landscape lighting seminar that Cast offers, they have one in CT in October?

8. desert night light

from AZ

I highly recommend it. they will teach you how to spider splice and solder connections. worth the price of admission alone.

9. korelandscaping

from ct

Will do...I've been looking at their website for the past twenty minutes. For 149.00 I'd be foolish not to attend.

10. desert night light

from AZ

It's a steal. your robbing them at 149.00 believe me.