1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I need some help witha a letter to DROP some undisirable customers any of you have one you use for this.
  2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Easiest letter youll ever have to write. You didnt specify why you wanted to get rid of these customers but my guess is its probably they are not money makers for you. If thats the case try this.

Dear XXXX,

Please be advised that effective 6/9/01 your lawn maintenance service price will be increased to $ xx.oo per visit. If you wish to continue service please sign and return the acknowledgement below stating the new service charge. If you wish to discontinue services, please contact the office by phone so you can be removed from our schedule.
  3. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Guess i should have said why they ALWAYS pay a month behind they have never been ontime with a payment :angry: and i loose my butt doing them.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well first off, any sample letter you get, you will need to tailor it to your specific situation. I say honesty is the best.
    Why do you want to drop these customers?
    Too far off the route, LATE PAYERS, terrible terrains, low profit yards? Whatever your reason, then use it. Just be upfront and professional.

Dear Mrs. Smith,

I regret to inform you that starting June 9th, 2001, our company will no longer be able to service your lawn because we rely on timely payments to bring our customers the best possible service. Because of the late payments, your service has been discontinued.

Since you no longer want these customers, no need to draw it out. Keep it short and sweet.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just say "your present per cut is $45 .....due to rising cost the next cut is $65.00" ...... fish bites ..... land it :->
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

What a bunch of wusses...Jodi seems to be the only one with the guts to tell it like it is. "Drop" doesnt mean raise the price; all that will do is get you more money to run thru dog dirt, have the check arrive 6 months from now, etc.

Be a pro, if its drop you want use Jodis letter, if its mo' money you want use one of the others.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I just sent out a sloppy handwritten note dropping a nit picker.

A summary of the letter:

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Dear Customer,

Effective immediately, I will no longer be able to provide lawn service for you. Unfortunatly I have run out of money. I have several delinquent customers like yourself and I can no longer even afford gas to get to your house.

If you have any friends that like to pay there bills please refer them to me. Our new company policy is to only take paying jobs. You can contact me at the Circle K, where I will be working to pay my outstanding debts. By the way, they are hiring....hint, hint.

The guy who comes to your house to mow for free.

PS: If you decide you would like to pay the outstanding balance (I don't know why you would), please send payment to Exxon, account # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-X. This will speed up the process of getting my card back.

:D j/k
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

though I found the previous post entertaining, I would raise prices and use late fees etc. slow payers bother me, but I have been behind before as well. keep it professional, and state the need for additional cash to finance those who do not pay on time. Dave g
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Jodi is right....
    be up front and to the point....
    If you are dropping a guy because of lack of payment, and you raise your prices hoping he drops you, if he accepts your raises, what makes you think he will pay any better ??

Keith, you are too funny !!!! But it is true !!