1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Idea

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Jul 6, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

North Side of the house, Doesnt get alot of sun, but does get some, the problem here is space. now theres some options, there supposed to get a new fence at some point. but idont know when. so i was thinking about hving options for them.

2. kemmer

Gate View.......

3. kemmer

Some Blank Ideas

4. kemmer

A space saving way to hide the ac units

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well for one thing you really want to avoid restricting air flow to the air conditioners, so I would go ahead and bring that side of the bed out as well and plant Nandina domestica about 3' out in a semi circle around the front of each one to hide. If that is not an option because of the gate there then if you put the Lattice or redwood panel up it should be installed farther away from the conditioners and have the two sides done that way as well.
    I would build that bed up some for drainage and put a spash block under the downspout.
    Then also you need to think about a good edge materal for the bed. Taller plantings to keep in scale with the house. Should you even plant this area?
    I suggest no. It's obviously needed for trash can storage, I would suggest filling it with gravel building an enclosure right on top of those timbers useing the rewood panels and put a gate on it.
    You'll end up making just as much $$ and give the customer something usefull and nice looking for the area. I have found it is difficult to change a customers storage habits and they will end up putting the cans in your new flower bed.
  6. kemmer

I have some ideas, but do you think its a good idea to keep the garbage cans inbetween the ac units?
  7. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

You could probably start with power washing the house. I hate it when every thing around a new landscape is trashy looking.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the lattice but you could put 3/4'' red rock out there and maby go to home cheapo and buy a holding bin for the cans to hide them i dont know thats simple but may look good
  9. rudy1206

rudy1206 LawnSite Member

I was bored so I did a quick design. Hope you like it. AND are you going to put the gutter underground with a pop-up. That makes so much of a difference when its not dumping in the bed.

10. kemmer

I was planning on either having it go into the driveway, or diverting it somewhere else. What is a pop up?