need some ideas, hedgetrimmer's not staying running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Orkin Yards, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a set of green machine hedge trimmers that have been acting weird...i can get them started but then they will die. this is kidna how it goes...i'll be trimming hedgtes and all the sudden it'll seem like i have nitrus on my hedge trimmers and they will rev up rEALLY REALLY high and then just die, then starting them back becomes difficult, but once i get them started it'll happen all over again...the carb has been rebuilt but i need some ideas as to what it might be....gas lines maybee? i have to fix it tommorrow b/f i work..
  2. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have an air leak on your intake.Start it up and spray around the intake with some WD40 and see if it does anything different.
  3. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

intake as in where airfilter is? or intake as in the carb?
  4. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

It is where the card bolts to the motor.It sounds like you are sucking in to much air and that will make it rev higher and also make it run lean and possibly seize the motor.
  5. shadetree

shadetree LawnSite Member

you have an air leak.
    seals, gaskets, bolt or screw loose.
  6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

If it runs good for a short while and then that occurs you could have a gas cap that is not venting properly. When the engine suddenly revs way up it is going lean, either from an air leak or just plain and simply running out of fuel. If it is hard to restart and then eventually does, it has gotten fuel back into the carb. Try replacing the fuel cap and see what happens.
  7. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

Fuel line is the first place to look.
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree - the fuel line first for pinhole leaks - then the gas cap for proper venting. (I'd just replace the fuel line to be safe - sometimes those leaks can be to small to detect easily).