Need some ideas of what to do?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by the.hines, Dec 6, 2007.

1. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

I thought I would show a couple of pictures and ask everyone what they would do for Landscaping on this house? What do you think should go into that open spot?

Thanks

shawn

New House in Franklin 003.JPG

New House in Franklin 029.JPG

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

LOL.....the whole thing is an open spot! You are lucky that you get a bare canvas. Do whatever you think looks good.

3. the.hines

Yeah we are going to build a privacy fence all the way around. That is about as far as we have gotten...

4. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I always incorporate a landscape designer or landscape architect. I am comfortable with design, but am alway impressed with the designer/architect's insight and efficiency. I have found the design investment always saves time, money, water, and maintenance.

The designer and I share referrals. She designs for contractors and on occasion I get the landscape maintenance contract.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

whats the budget?

6. the.hines

not enough to hire a designer? I am looking around $400-$600.

7. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We could not even begin to landscape this home for 400-600. It would be more than that just to cut new mulch beds, and go around the home with the cheapest grade mulch we could find. Sorry.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What direction are we looking when we are facing the house?

9. the.hines

I am looking straight at the house from the front street in the photos.

Damn people I am not trying to hire you for the job I am just asking your ideas on what you would do with this one????

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

OK, OK, OK: Here goes: 1.You're going to have to work with the power meter--can't do anything about it. Put in a trelis about 3 feet from the house--so meter guy can access the meter. Make trelis about 6'-8' high. Use some thick roses/vines. Next you need to have foundation plants. Remove soil about 3' from house and fill with mulch and pigmy barberrys (reddish ) every 3' on center from the left side (large picture window) to the front steps. Put in some nice borders, annuals between barberry. Finally the chimney needs to be softened with a tall plant such as a #2 Foster Holly (Slow Growing to about 15'). This will get you started.
    I'm down here in TN just east of Knoxville in Kingsport. I'm a designer garden person and will help you. Keep in mind that plants need to be suited to your climate. You'll be able to get some good stuff now from Lowe's. I prefer Nursery Stock as they stand behind their plants for a year. Make sure that your foundation plantings are in a good mix of soil; 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 humas, 1/3 spagnum peat moss.. You should be able to get the plants and do all of the work yourself within your budget. Good Luck, Roy