need some ideas on mounting shovels, rakes and other hand tools to trailers , pickup

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by greenngrow, Jun 22, 2001.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

NEED SOME IDEAS !!!!! PICTURES WOULD BE VERY NICE HEYS GUYS AND GALS,

I HAVE BEEN RACKING MY LITTLE BRAIN ON HOW TO MOUNT THE VARIOUS HAND TOOLS AND POWER EQUIPMENT TO MY TRAILERS AND PICKUP TRUCKS.
    IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS AND CAN EMAIL PICTURES IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Mark, was wondering if you could give us a little more info regarding your trucks & trailers. Are they open or enclosed trailers, and how are your trucks set up with regard to toolboxes, bedliners, box rails and the like? Knowing a bit more about your equipment makes it easier to come up with ideas/suggestions that may work well for you.

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Mark,

We looked in the Landscaper supply catalog and got some great ideas there.Also any mag for that matter,most of them show a lot of pictures of different contractors equipment.

Good Luck
    Mike Nelson

4. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Try looking at green touch industries site and trimmer traps that where i found ideas for mine . Sorry i can't rember the address.

5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I have looked through mags and got some ideas.
    For 75 question. I have two pickup trucks and a one ton with a dump bed (that needs a bunch of work).

One truck is mainly for lawn spraying(has a 300 gallon tank in the back). The other pickup has a single lid tool box. I use this one the pull the trailers around.

As for trailers. I have two 18 ft and one 6 ft. One 18 is for my straw blower and the other is for my New Holland tractor. I mainly install yards and spray lawns. I do very little mowing.

The one trailer has a expanded metal cage in the front. About 4 1/2 foot tall and runs back to the axles. It is a nice trailer.

Thanks for the replies
    p.s.

I got about the all caps. sorry guys and gals

6. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

That 4-1/2 foot tall expanded metal "cage" sounds like a good spot to hang a lot of the tools vertically. You may need to add some additional supports for the tool racks to bolt to - attaching directly to the wire mesh itself is probably not a good idea - it's not designed to carry that kind of load and may end up cracking.

Do you have any smaller tools to find a place for? If so, perhaps a toolbox mounted alongside the frame on your 1-ton dump would be useful.

At work, I drive a 1-ton dually welding truck and although it's quite a different occupation from yours, I still have to carry a lot of tools and rigging with me. Much of it hangs up on the "headache rack" behind the cab, you may be able to do something similar with the dump box on your truck. For me, the truck deck serves as a workbench much of the time, yours are probably used more for hauling but in either case, getting the tools off the bed floor & up in proper racks is a good idea.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 3-4 ft section of plastic pipe for misc. tools. Get a piece with a big enough diameter for all the handles of the tools. I cut a hole the corner of my flatbed and slid the pipe down a bit. I will try to snap a pic tomorrow.