Need some Ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Cashmonysonny, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Cashmonysonny

Cashmonysonny LawnSite Member

can't figure out what to do with this bed. any ideas the bed is 65 ft long

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Can you please describe what else is on the property? How shaded is the area? Seems as though there is no irrigation either (sod).

To go with the kind of rustic county look.......Alta or Little Gem Magnolia, some Rhodo' they like boxwoods?

1. Boxwoods in front of the wall, then perennials....stay at the wall
    2. Bring the same perennials forward in a clump down by where the date is
    3. Between the tree in and the wall, through in some Rhodos, Hydrangea, Oak Leaf Hyd.......some with a little size so it is in your face color
    4. Put a evergreen off to the right............better yet, put 3 in some triangluar fashion........if will provide some screening as well as a nice deep green look

Another option:
    1. Get 3 Dogwoods or 3 Redbuds, heck use both, forget the bed and place them oddly so they look natural or volunteers.
    2. Mix around some weeping Yews
    3. Mix around some GIANT Christmas Ferns
    4. Peonia's, hydrangea........perennials etc
    5. Add in Forsythia, better yet Lilac smells great

Pull off other plant material on the property and forget the neighbors. The houses are different and you never want to look like your neighbor anyway. Also, forget the bed line. It is hard to do but can really restrict your train of thought.

I don't know your climate so you may need to cross reference some plants.

Most importantly:
    Never be satisfied with your work. If you are you become routine. Don't become the guy that I can drive through a neighborhood and show oyu which houses you did because its all the same look and plant material.
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

Also, you may already do this but do your customers a favor that do not have irrigation. Lay down a soaker hose and pin it with sod pins under the mulch as a cheap irrigation system to keep their investment alive.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

add some plants
  5. tthomass

from N. VA

brillant observation
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bet the neighbors love having this guy next door. And I'll bet they will really take care of thing after you put them in??
  7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay with the rustic country look. Lilacs and maybe a cotoneaster are good "old fashion" plants. Make sure to add something evergreen too.
  8. tthomass

from N. VA

Looks to me like this guy was there before the neighbor.
  9. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

Here's something

new des 2.jpg
  10. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

What zone are you in that would help.