need some info from exmark rep

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mowing grass 1111, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a 30 hp 60 inch lazer z 10-28-07 and it ran fine on flat ground but any time i got on a incline it ran like crap. i called the dealer and they installed a new intake and small bore carb. my question is well the smaller bore carb rob me of horsepower?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

mowing grass,

I'm going simply off my belief from what I've seen and been told. The truth is, I think if you ask five different people, you'll probably get five different answers.

Does if affect the over-all horsepower? I have to believe it does...I mean, for the most part it takes fuel to make HP. I've talked to test guys here and elsewhere, along with Kohler people and the consensus from those is that it reduces the HP 5-10%.

What's more important however, is does it affect the overall performance of the machine? It does, but everything I've seen it does so in a positive manner most generally.

Under normal (or even moderately heavy) cutting conditions, you are so rarely running at wide open throttle (fully into the governor), and this is really when the reduced HP would affect you. Most generally you'll occassionally hit an area that's extremely heavy which will cause you to slow down...now the important thing is engine recovery. You want the engine to come back up to speed (and thereby your deck come back up to speed) as quickly as possible. The smaller bore increases the venturi effect and helps the engine get the fuel needed quicker to recover.

These are some very broad generalizations and really mostly my opinions from what I've seen. If you want real data on this, I'd have you contact Kohler Engines themselves. If you do, I'd be interested to hear what they say.

Thanks,
    Lenny

3. mowing grass 1111

i will give kohler a call , and i agree it takes fuel to make horsepower..... i feel though exmark/ dealer has really screwed me over on this mower . i paid for a 30 hp engine and ended up with a 27-28 hp engine . i had the same problem when i bought my 99 cobra mustang ......at least ford stepped up to the plate and corrected the problem... maybe exmark could learn a thing or 2 from ford

4. eXmark

mowin',

I understand that you're concerned, but have you tried the machine since the new components were installed?

We're more than willing to get involved and support you and the dealer, but we have to allow the engine manufacturer's correction the opportunity to succeed or fail.

In the meantime, we can do some background checking, if you would PM us your complete model/serial we can begin looking into what can be done if the machine is not performing satisfactorily.

As far as F... goes, if you want us to make it guzzle gas, I'm sure we can figure something out. Sorry I'm a GM guy and I just couldn't resist.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
    Lenny

5. mowing grass 1111

yes i have tried the machine since the new parts were installed ... the dealer was the one who told me about the loss in horsepower . to me it just does run as powerful as a 30 hp engine should with a 60 inch deck no less . also it seems like the engine manufacturer just wants to throw parts at it to make it stop bogging and spitting balck smoke than deal with the loss of hp.
    i bought a new cobra mustnag in 1999 that was rated at 320 hp , turned out the cars were only making around 300 hp. ford stopped production of the cobra to fix the problem ......something i bet exmark would never dream of doing . i will get you the model & serial number this weekend ... i just want the 30 horsepower i paid for!!!

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

DITTO and on top of the 30 hp crap i was lied to about the year of my mower,was told it was an 07 leftover,what they failed to tell me was it was leftover from 2 years ago!!

7. mowing grass 1111

i bet exmark did not do i damn thing about the the loss of hp... i think i am starting to see how this company really is

8. eclawn

eclawn LawnSite Member

What is Exmark exspose to do? They dont build engines and carburators.
    I dont meen to start a fight, but Ford builds the engine and body.Exmark builds the unit installs the engine. So if your unhappy about the update that sounds like it worked but posibly lost power it should be taken up with Kohler.
    It sounds like a stand up company to me offering to back you and support you when talking to Kohler. Exmark wasnt the only company to us this engine
    and not the only one to have this problem, all of us have to go with what Kohler says is the fix.

9. mowing grass 1111

exmark should stand behind their product ....i never heard of ford telling a customer to call mazda because the mazda motor in their ford car was having problems

10. eXmark

FYI.....We did stop production of the 30hp Kohler unit.