need some input from walker guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScotLawn, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here's the deal. I went to a dealer to talk to a guy about a billy goat and he we got to talking about mowers and grass collection for leaves. he told me he had a 20hp kabota walker that he got in on a trade. it is a 97 model and was owned by a local city around here and told the John Deere dealer it was used to cut street islands. the unit looks a little rough around the edges but I need some input from you guys on if it might be a good deal. I was told by the dealer to take it out for a few days and let him know if i like it. here's the kicker. the price is $2500.

What do you walker guys think. What should I be looking for as far as problems. And would this be a good unit for leaves.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How many hours on the motor and what size of deck? You have a few days to demo it and see how it runs, you should be the best judge. I have seen a few used up Walkers for around that price. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

3. ScotLawn

hours is unknown due to the new hour meter saying 16 hrs. deck size is i think a 42" ghs. I have never cut with a walker, heck the first time i ever drove one was at the Expo. Walkers are new to me.

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Sounds like a good deal if the overall shape is pretty good. You just take a chance it being a used mower and not knowing what the true hours are. I would still try and talk him down on price. If you like it, consider a new one if you have the finances. Sounds like you can't go wrong. I paid $4000 for a used '97 with 900 hrs on it and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. The dealer did knock off $1000. Good luck!!
  5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i'll take it!!!

if you don't want it, email me details please!!
  6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If it ran good, Id drive from CA for that price. Can you work on it your self?
    Id like to know what it would cost to have the Kabota rebuilt? It has to be alot cheaper than what a new one would cost.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ryan Lighting : My Kubota dealer has told me that the small Kubota diesels are not usually rebuilt, but are replaced. It seems that the cost to rebuild is nearly as much as the cost of a replacement engine. Price for a new engine is around 3500.00 - 4000.00.:)
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Demo it for as long as he'll let ya, and then decide. I love my Walker.
  9. ScotLawn

ok guys heres a few pics of the walker. I picked it up today to demo for a few days. the left wheel hydro does not go as fast as the right so there is a pull to the left at full speed. the Kabota engine sounds good and the blades are quiet. Let me know what you think.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

$2500, it runs and it looks like that, I'll take it.