need some input on a bid please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pdenney11, Sep 9, 2009.

1. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call today about a 9 acre mobile home park that needs mowed and trimmed 3 times a month (NO EDGING). I guess I always overbid these larger properties because I have never won a bid for a property this size so I guess im doing something wrong. I will be doing this property solo and Im guessing it will take me 4-5hrs. The grass isnt very thick so I should be able to move through the mowing portion quickly. There is a ditch on the west side of the property that will take a while to weedeat though. If you guys could just give me a ballpark figure on a reasonable amount to charge for this property that would be great. Thanks guys

mobile park.jpg

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

No offense to anyone that does live in a mobile home park but usually there is always a bunch of "crap" around the homes there. So you most likely will have to stop often to move something or throw something away. I wouldn't even bid on that myself, but that is just me.

3. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

9 acres..wow..4-5 man hours..thats low..I counted at least 22 buildings.. if you get out of there in 7-8 your lucky. We have a 1.25 acre house and shed. Takes 1.25 hours to mow and trim. We have a 4 acre lot that is just mow, several trees, 1 building and parking lot it takes 90 minutes to do.

4. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

I would bid 8 hours @35. $280 and get a helper. The rate Ive ran up against here is $18-55 per man hour. If you really want it. If not bid higher.

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Ain't that the truth

6. pdenney11

Thats kind of what I was thinking too. I went and looked at it though and it might be the cleanest mobile home park ive ever seen. If there was crap all over the place I wouldnt even consider because once im on that mower I dont want to get off.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'm shocked that it actually looks clean. That must be the only one in the US.

8. pdenney11

Wow! I guess im a little off on my time estimation. Thanks for the good info. That will certainly change my bid. I guess I think im quicker then I really am.

9. pdenney11

I was too. The only reason I can come up with to why it is a clean one is because it's off a very busy main road and 2 blocks from a private school.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've never done a property anything like that size, but I agree that you are way short on the time required. I realize that it isn't 9 acres of grass, but 9 acres of grass with no buildings would be much quicker to mow. Even at 30 minutes per acre, which I don't think you can possibly do, it would take 4 1/2 hours. Say 25 main structures (looks like several smaller storage buildings as well) @ 5 minutes per, would be over 2 hours of trimming. Then you mentioned a ditch we can't see in the photo.

I think Borwicks was closer with the 8 hour extimate I'd figure at least that many hours, and, remember, if you are working solo, your hiney is going to be dragging the furrow shut by the time you get done. No resting a little while you drive to the next account. Good luck with the bid.