need some input on what to try out

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jsf343, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, I am thinkinking about doing a demo on various mowers, after reading a lot of the threads on here I am now thinking about a demo on Hustler as well. I am trying to figure out what would be the best mower for us and for the money. I mow a lot of residential with about 5 larger commercial properties and we hope to add to that over the next year. Right now we use a Toro t-bar 52" Groundsmaster that is old and stable but that could change at any time. It is what we would replace. We also use 4 Honda 21's which are great. I need something to be able to bag in spring and fall, and mulch in summer. Most of the properties are fairly flat but 2 have steeper hills. I would rather have more power then I need then not enough, but fuel conservation is important also. (gas prices) I want something comfortable, (rider) as well as giving a great cut (high lift blades? what do you all use?) one last thing, I live where it is wet 7 months out of the year, ;) do these cut ok in wet conditions? how well do they bag? I am really looking forward to feedback, I was not considering this mower at all untill I started reading this forum. :) Thanks again,
    Jeff

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Demo a 28EFI or 30hp Super Z with a XR-7 deck, it mulches great and also has bagging options.
    It has plenty of power and is great on hills.

Pj

3. jsf343

Talked to someone at the closest dealer and they said that I could try it out on the property. hahahaha I said no thanks and called the next closest dealer they are finding a demo right now. Here is my question....they are recommending the kaw over the kohler and Honda. I would prefer the strongest and most trouble free engine available for a 52" or 54" deck. Is there any consensus on which power configuration is best? I have been reading about how hill cutting is a power sucker with the Hustler. I understand there will be some loss but too much will not be a good thing for us. (we have a couple long slopped accounts) other then that I am excited to try one. Any feedback on this issue? also for those who mulch how well does the xr-7 deck handle spring conditions? how does the whole mower handle "spring conditions?" Thanks again, Jeff

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The XR-7 is awesome in wet spring conditions and so is the whole mower.
    As far as power on hills goes, as long as your not trying to go to fast on the hill or try over doing it for what the mower will handle as far as conditions you will be fine.
    I feel the 28 EFI or the 30 would be a great choice, but neither are available on the 54" XR-7 unit, so I would look at the Kawasaki or even the 27 Kohler, I always buy as much HP as I can, you never can have to much HP in my opinion.

Pj

5. jsf343

Pj, is the efi in the honda? I saw it on the website just can't remember which engine or brand it was.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No it is not.
    The EFI is a Kohler 28hp.