1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some Insurance advice!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sheppard, Jan 25, 2004.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Want to change my insurance ariier both for financial reason (they raised their rates all throught Florida) & for personal reasons.

Currently have State Farm. Want to find a company that can handle the liability aspects.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Try Nationwide...I've been with them for years and were excellent with my company when I had some claims.
  3. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to know how many of you use State Farm for your mowing or chem. applicators business. I had to go with Farm Bureau because my State Farm agent told me that they won't cover my business. If you did use them, who was the underwriter, and could you have got a better rate by approaching the underwriter yourself?
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

grab your phone book
    open to the yellow pages under insurance, and look for an Independent Agent...not Allstate, not Statefarm, not Nationwide (nothing wrong with Nwide...but if you have a unique issue/problem, you want an independent agent.)

Independent agents represent many ins companies. Each ins co has a different appetite for certain kinds of business...yours being the landscape biz. He'she will know what co's are looking for new business in your category and which ones have good rates.

You wont be able to do much about the premium for the liab insurance...it is what is, by class of business pretty much.
    For comp, coll and coverage on your equip, consider higher deductibles to lower you premiums
  6. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

This was very helpful! Txs

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheppard, I have been using Nationwide for a couple years now and no problems so far. Rates seem to be pretty competitive also. Good luck.
  10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

just got a good quote from American Family Insurance.
    I had the same problem with State Farm as they wouldn't carry the business insurance. They just don't like to deal with Lawn/Landscape industry as the job descriptions from company to company are too varied they said.
    Not a bad price I felt for $1,000,000/$2,000,000