1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need some kawsaki help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wrobel#1, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

Hey I have a Scag with a Kawsaki engine I can only get the mower to run for a couple of seconds with starter fuild that shuts off. I ran fine at the end of last season. Can you help me thanks
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. jeffslawncare

jeffslawncare LawnSite Member

sounds like the carborator is not getting fuel, try changing fuel filter and if that doesn't work try putting in a carborator kit, if that doesn't work you might need a new carborator.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the same problem on a ferris with a 23 kaw i just bought it had not been started in almost 2 years . i did the same thing you did and then i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and she fired right up .
  5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have spark. what happened, is you got to clean your carburetor. the raw fuel clogged your carb this simple cleaning will get you going.:waving:
  6. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

make sure that if it has an anti-afterfire solenoid on the carb that it is opening. If the solenoid is stuck shut it won't let fuel through the main jet. put your hand on it and turn the key to the on position, you should feel it open and here a little click.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought an inline spark tester for $10 last year. You can make your own but I recommend having either in your toolbox to check your spark. Once it's been determined that there is spark, you can proceed to the fuel issue. I assume you made sure the fuel was turned on and there is fresh fuel in the tank?
    Take the fuel line off the engine and see if it flows from there. Backtrack it to the fuel filter if it does not flow. If you get good flow, you'll probably have to rebuild the carb because it's varnished from the old fuel.
    I don't know if you have a fuel pump and I don't know how to check that. I'd be interested in knowing how to check a fuel pump if anyone can share that.
    Specifically a kaw 601V--------Tony