1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some mosquito help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Sep 4, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A really good client of mine is having an outdoor party next friday night. Is there anything to use to hinder mosquito presence that actually works, even if it is a Friday morning spray??? BTW, I am liscensed. Thanks all.
  2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

maragolds are a good deterant..
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

big fans!

those musquito magnets are supposed to be pretty good, but they require 4 weeks to become really effective by killing all the current egg-laying ones.

another option is just idle a big piece of diesel equipment. Diesel smoke works really well for keeping them away. :)
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

another idea is tiki torches with cintranella oil..or the last resort is the MOSQITO MAGNET i have afew customers that have these a swear by them.can be bought at homedepot lowes,etc..run about $400-500.00
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I saw a mosquito fogger in the home depot flyer the other day kind of costly but it was good for up to an acre. Don't know how well it works but it was around $300. No offence to BSD but diesel smells pretty bad.
  6. KenH

from CT

Thanks. I was looking for something along the fogger line.......or possibly a spray for the wood line???:confused:
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Torches work nicely and add ambience.............:cool:
  8. Minnesota

Minnesota LawnSite Member

there is a product called talstar at lesco

that creates a barrier to keep mosquitos

away, never used it so i dont know how

effective it is
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

This might sound like BS but it worked for me. I rented three 48" barrel fans from a local rental shop here for an outdoor party/barbque a few months ago. Place the fans so that they blow towards the perimeter of the property. Your neighbors might take offense to you blowing all the skeeters into their yard, but it works. The skeeters can't hang around to molest your guests when you have a breeze moving through the yard. If the area where your party is going to be isn't too big the fan trick should work.
  10. KenH

from CT

I know this sounds a little uppety uppish, but this is a pretty wealthy client, and I really cant see them setting up fans, or lighting torches/candles...even though they are all valid and good ideas. I am going to give Lesco a call tomorrow and see if I have any recourse.