Need some opinions on Dixie Chopper...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BINKY1902, May 30, 2010.

1. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I'm looking at a classic 2750 with a Generac 27 hp. Got a quote for 7,995. We have an Exmark dealer and a Chopper dealer in town. The Exmark guy is a POS so I will not buy from him. So I'm either gonna have to go an hour away for an Exmark, or go with the Chopper which the place has an excellent service department. The Chopper place will even come and fix your Chopper on the spot if your ever on a job and throw a belt or something. I really didn't want to buy a rider this year but some bids come through so it's time to expand or die. I'm not familiar with Generac, and can't find many reviews by searching. The dealer told me the classic has hydros rated at 5,000 hrs, so that's pretty dang impressive. It looks well built, and even uses my personal favorite lucas oil products from the factory. Anybody running the classic? My main concern is resale value, I know that Exmark has great resale because everyone is so crazy about them. Anybody ever have trouble selling a Chopper? Also the Exmark dealer in my area will not sell one unless he clears a grand off of it. The Chopper place sells them for a few hundred over there cost and relies on your business for supplies. Also, anybody have problems with the super aggressive tires on the Chopper, looks like they might rip some grass right out of the ground? Thanks and I found some info searching but it was from like 2001 and 2002 so I'd like some fresh info.

2. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I have a XG2703 which is very similiar to the unit you are looking at. I have the 27 hp Generac with a 60" deck. I have had the mower for two complete seasons with no real complaints. You need to run the tire pressures at the recommended 6 psi, this will help with some traction issues. I have no complaints with the Generac engines, I have heard of problems with earlier models of Generac engines though. I would go with the best dealer, I feel when you are buying lawn equipment the dealer support is one of the most important things. I hope this helps.

3. BINKY1902

from South

thanks for the info. Heard the Generac has great torque. How many hours do you have on yours?

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts on Dixie chopper. One of the worst commercial mowing decks ever designed. It will leave an uncut strip of grass between the center and discharge blade. There is no fix for it. It means a double cut no matter what. Contack dixie they say I should cut some of the baffling out myself. They say the deck creates an air vortex and thats what causes the problem. I think they should have cought this during r&d. It is really pathetic that a $800 walmart mower will cut better.

5. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I have 390 hours with no problems. In reference to the previous post about the deck design causing missed grass. I have not had any problems with that.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a good price, your dealer is being honest with you. I have been running DC's for 11 years now and I love them. I prefer the xcaliber series, but the classic is great too. As long as your deck is adjusted right you should have no cut quality issues. The Generac engines are great, easy to work on and maintain / lots of torque. I have resold many of our machines, it all just depends on your market. Since there is a great dealer close by you should have no trouble if and when that time comes.

7. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

We run a excaliber and a silver eagle. I LOVE the excaliber. Excellent cutting deck and lots of power. If you can afford to step up to the excaliber you will not regret it. This is our first year running Dixie's and have no complaints so far.

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

They'd be good for hills with those treads on those tires
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Literally seems that every lco in the area has 2 choppers and an exmark tthp on their trailers! It gets kinda redundant.... But they are very popular here. Never tried one personally, Deere quiktrak for me!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BINKY1902

from South

The Chopper place has great service. They had a classic and a silver eagle side by side, both 50 inch with the 27 generac. He told me the silver eagle pumps are rated for 2,500 hrs and the classic rated for 5,000 hours. He told me that the silver eagle would do the job for me, but if I just had the extra money he would go for the classic. He was honest with me and said the the aggressive tires take getting used to, and that you can tear up some ground if you get too aggressive in the turns. Both were good looking machines. I know the guy cause our kids play ball together and all. That thing will sure take some time off of my properties, since I'm using a walk behind and sulky now. My back is about to give out on me, cause I'm riding that sulky on some 3 to 8 acre properties. It just kind of snuck up on me, I started the season with all small to mid size properties like last year, then I picked up five new accounts this April and they are all huge. I wouldn't mind having that 56" Excaliber with the 33 hp Generac, might give that one a look as well. I really don't want to go over 50 inches though because there are tons of obstacles on my properties, trees, shrubs, water fountains and such.