need some opinions on Scag STHM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Louis, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have a friend looking to trade for a Scag STHM. He is looking at trading an exmark 15 hp 48" floating hydro for a Scag STHM 61" unknown hp but the owner told my friend that the Scag was a gear drive. I told my friend that I would find it hard to believe that any company would make a 61" gear drive but what do I know, I only know exmarks. My friend only uses the machine for his own property which is about 3 acres of sometimes steep terrain. I told him I would have difficulty trading any hydro for a gear but in his defense he doesnt have a lawncare buisness and is looking to upgrade in the size from a 48 to a 61 and he is looking for more comfort while mowing, with the scag having a seat so he has good points. But I dont know enough about the machines to give him good advice on them. Does anyone know if they are as fast as walk behinds, if indeed Scag did make a gear drive? when i did the search all i could find is how they were very good on hills and slopes but I find this hard to beleive if it is a gear drive because when i owned a gear drive I always found my belts slipping on steep slopes and never having enough power with the belts. Please give me all the info you have on these machines

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

http://scag.com/sthm.html

Try the link. It will tell you about the STHM. They are hydro. I have never used one, but heard they are quite comfortable and very easy to use.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The older ones may have been gear drive, top speed is around 7 mph, which is usually the ideal mowing speed anyway. That machine will probably have a 20hp Kohler magnum, which is a very strong dependable motor, but has been made obsolete by the command V twins. Just think of the machine as a longer slightly slower ZTR.

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 sthm w 22 koh command. A gear drive is about early 90's

If cheap and in good shape a buy. My 99 has 1100hrs worth 25-3500.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Its gear drive to the wheels not belt drivel