1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some opinions on Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BJ 1000RR, Aug 18, 2006.

1. BJ 1000RR

BJ 1000RR LawnSite Member

I am looking for a Z for under 5k, something that will fit in standard sized gates & cuts good. I have about 40 lawns a week to do alone, most of them are small to medium sized lawns (700sq ft to 1500sq ft). Ive been looking at the Gravely 34, dixon 34, or maybe the dixon 30. any feedback or suggestions abut these mowers will be greatly appreciated.

2. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

The Gravely 34 is a great machine for gated properties and is built really sturdy. It's too small for a full time mower but would be perfect for those gates. Walk-behinds will be able to provide more versatility if you don't already have one.
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Dixon 30, Would not look like it would last at all. Go with the gravely 34 out of your choices.
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

You might take a look at a country clipper.
  5. BJ 1000RR

Whats a country clipper ?
  6. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What about an Exmark PHAZER ,Oh thats right they don't make or sell anything under 5K do they ..........
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob, member name on lawnsite Lazer_Z , said his Phazer was impressive, and gave it a very good review.
  8. BJ 1000RR

I think the Phazer might be out of my budget, I can get the Gravely 34" Commercial macine for $4750 or the Dixon 34" comercial for $4999, I was considering the 30" dixon because it would fit in all the yards I have except one, but as STUFFDEER said it probably won't last. Man, I hate to spend $5000 on a mower and then find out I got garbage.
  9. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

The dixon was a fairly good mower. I would not want to use it on rough ground. I did have a bagger that worked ok. the little plastic ring around the bottom of the mowing deck broke fast. I had my welder guy make a metal one that he welded on to the deck. The supports that held on the bagging unit had to be reinforced too. I had it back in the mid 90's.

I just bought a John Deere 757 for $10,000. I wish it was under 5,000.

You could look at Hustler fasttracks.

I had one of those too. They both lade over wet grass that didn't cut great because of the wheels. So some area's you will need to run over were you turn. Most of the time I would over lap my wheel tracks.
  10. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Quick 36 for 2000 something and a hydro check thats out ive heard nothing but good about it