Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by P & L Turf, Jan 1, 2006.

1. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about adding a spray rig to the fleet this year, and I don't know if a tow behind one is any good or should I go and drop the money for a skid mount one that has the hose that I drag around. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've always used granular and done spot treatments, but I have a few jobs that really need the liquid apps.:waving:

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

JMO, but I am going with the L.T. Rich Z-Spray, placed my order a couple of weeks ago and was just waiting to write the check for 2006 to get here. I made my decision by talking with some fellas that used towable & skid sprayers and then went to a ride on sprayer spreader, in nearly every case they felt the ride ons increased their production, that is made them more efficient.

I guess this depends on whether you just fert & squirt or you also mow and provide other lawn/landscape services.

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know your budget or the extent of your potential usage.
    For what it's worth?

JD Gator with a 200 gallon tank and 16' booms.

We get about 6 acres per hour out of it.

I use a 2,000 gallon nurse tank in a 24' straight truck and use the ramp to drive into the back to go to the next job.

Has been very efficient and easy to use.

JD Gator.JPG

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

What size are the jobs that you need liquid for? Do think that you will be adding lots of large acreage or mostly small lots?

5. P & L Turf

Most of the jobs are residental. Not much larger than your typical subdivison postagestamp size lot. There are a few small, and I mean samll, condo joints, a couple entrance ways, things like that. Greenmarks unit is quite sweet. I love the fact thats it's sitting upon the worlds finest piece of equipment. A John Deere!!!:) I just bought a spreader for the front of my Lazer for my larger jobs. I wanted to add a sprayer to the fleet because some of these lawns have really bad weeds and crabgrass, and I figured liquid would get rid of it a lot faster, and maybe cut down on my time. Speed is not a big factor for me, because I like to take my time and make sure everythings lookin good. I'm usually the only one doing this while I have my other guys out mowing, or doin whatever. The sprayer is for the small stuff and the entrance ways.

6. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

I would go with a skid mount. I've got a 200 gal. skid that we use from Lesco. It is more than enough for the job. You can pull the hose in the yard and mash the button when your finished. Gets alittle heavy for a pickup, so we usually put it in a trailer. A bubby of mine had got a 100 gal. and that size is perfect for spray a few yards. It will do probably 7-10 yards that are 15,000 sq.ft lot size. Fits nice in the back of the truck too. If I could get rid of that 200... I would replace it with a 100 any day.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 100-gallon installed in my F250 truck and do mostly smaller residential lots.

A skid sprayer is certainly nice to have when you need it. I generally only spray lawns about twice per season, but new customers often get it during the first application.

I can normally spray 50,000 to 66,000 square feet out of one tank, which goes a long way when your lawns are only 5,000 each. There are many places where you can get additional water if you need it. Never been a problem for me.

[​IMG]

8. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I would do a skid mount.

9. P & L Turf

How good would a 50 gallon work? Should I just go with the 100 to be safe or do you think it really matters? Theres not alot of jobs that I'd be spraying, so having to refill everynow and then doesn't really concern me to much. Also whats the average amount of times you spray throught the year?

10. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

I have never used anything more than a 50 gallon tank. I have 3 of them. Using a wand I got more out of a tank than with a Chem Lawn Gun. Today they are nothing more than fresh water tanks for my PermaGreen. Pick up a 50 with an electric reel and you should be fine.