Need some Professional Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BackInBlack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. BackInBlack

BackInBlack LawnSite Member
    from NC

I know this is a site for those in the lawn care industry so I figure what better place to get some advice. I am looking at getting a commerical mower just to simply use for my personal yard with the hopes that it should last just about a lifetime. What I need is advice on whether the mower I'm looking at would be considered over priced or a good deal, comparing it to a used Stander offered by my local shop it seems just about in line but I figured it'd be worth asking anyways.

Its a Great Dane Super Surfer 52" 23hp Kawasaki w/ 160 hrs. $2500

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also is there any good way to tell if the hour meter has been swaped out, other than it just looking newer?

2. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

hmmmmm looks like an older model. i bet it has more hours than its telling. i bought my new at 5,000 so i would look around or else buy another mower. but for my 0.02 i would say dont buy the one shown in the picture for any more than $1200

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

That looks beat to me. Get the new Wright or anything new. Follow your plan to get a lifetime mower. Its a good one.

4. BackInBlack

BackInBlack LawnSite Member
    from NC

The problem is I really didn't want to spend that much to begin with, so buying a new mower is really out of the question unfortunately. I would rather a rider, preferably a stand-on, for three reasons, one I'm lazy, two WBs are so long they take up a lot of shop space and third I'd like to be able to pull an aerator. Also, I can turn a wrench if need be on a used mower, I just don't want to have to swap a engine or something to that degree. I don't know, does it sound like I'm asking for too much given my budget and I should just stick to buying a resi mower? Once again I really appreciate any advice.

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Brand new Wright Stander is my advice. You will then have something you can sell if you want to or need to and if you dont, you have a great, solid mower. Bite the bullet and take your medicine.