1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need some quick advice on hourly wage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLandyman, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TheLandyman

TheLandyman LawnSite Member

ok so my hourly wage is $45/hour that includes myself, another guy($10/hour) all my equipment, and my truck and trailer. My help bailed on me last friday and i havent been able to find new help yet. So since its only me working now should my hourly wage change? Oh and were in the middle of a job that started last monday.
  2. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I think you should change your hourly wage rate considering you customers are now getting less work (you lost a guy). I would at least take the $10/hr. you were paying your help out of your rate. Have you thought about a temp. service?

3. TheLandyman

TheLandyman LawnSite Member

ok thats what i was thinking to. Temp service meaning like a staffing service? if so yes, its just very last minute i had a new guy lined up for today and guess what, no call, no show, goodbye :waving:
  4. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I just think your customers will appreciate and respect you more in the long run, which would make up for the short term loss of income. In theory, you wouldn't be losing that money anyway because you'd be paying it to another worker.

Good luck, and I hope you find someone soon!
  5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should be charging 45 per man hr thats a fair rate considering all of your cost to operate.At $45 total you are giving $10 to help plus all of your ins,equipment,fuel and any other expenses your help probally quit because $10 hr is low nowadays as I cant get help for less than $12 hr. At the end of the day your helper made more than you. Raise your rates and you will still get the jobs of people who are serious about a good finished job. GOOD LUCK
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Same idea - raise your rate. Does your mechanic charge $45/ hour and being the owner - now that his help left should he now charge $35/ hour?? Every man hour that is charged / hour by my company is / man hour. No matter if I was there or if a crew of 3 guys were there. I don't know your area but maybe the going rate is above or below what you charge - so that could be a starting point.
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

$45 an hour for two guys, so your charging $22.50 per man hour so theoretically you should now charge $22.50p/hr which, by the way is a good way to go broke. Till people understand that employees actually, if anything cost more per hr. than yourself, then you should stay solo. I don't understand how people think that since they pay 10 per hour their cost is 10 per hour.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Also well stated!
  9. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

we charge 40 dollars per man hour. Meets1 one said it perfectly. It doesn't matter if it is you and one employee, or just two employees. You wouldnt charge 20 per hour for two guys and your equipment. If you did you would go broke. $/per man hour regardless of who it is. For now, your customer will see half the workers on the property and will probably expect half the hourly rate. You may be able to add a liitle extra on by explaining that part of your rate is for the equipment and the other part is for the labor. No matter what you will have to reduce your rate for this job IMO.
  10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Please factor other things in when you are coming up with your PMH figure. Have you factored in insurance (liability and workers comp.), license, equipment, administrative cost, fuel, and of course your skill. Your skill is the reason they highered you in the first place, Right? Not because you were cheaper. $45 PMH?? It will help you a lot to figure out your real cost and not just your labor cost.