Need some quick help/advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

Hi Folks,

I have around two acres, rough with some slopes up to 30 degrees. I am operating on a 3000.00 budget (firm) I was going to buy a Husqvarna ZTR but I found a bunch of information here slamming that mower as well as finding out that the low end ZTR's won't hold a hill very well. I am thinking now that I need to go with a large lawn tractor. I have looked at the JD x300 for 2699.00 and the Kubota t1670 for 3299.00. I have also looked at the large Whites and large Husqvarna's and thinking about the Simplicity Regent as well

I have confused myself to no end and need some guidance. I haven't done my own yard in 3 years.

HELPPPPP!!!! I have to get a mower this week and my lawn is getting out of control.

Roger W.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If you have slopes that severe, I would not get a rider. I would go with a walk behind. For 3 grand, you will get a crappy riding mower. For a homeowner with a big yard, I would buy a Lesco 48" belt drive walker with a sulkie attachment.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I second the get a walkbehind notion.

Call up your local power equipment dealers and see what prices they can give you or better yet go visit them.

A 3000 dollar budget is tough to stick to, have you considered a used commercial ZTR?
  4. Roger Wilkerson

I found a new Hustler miniZ 15/36 today for 3020.00. Think that will hold a hill?
  5. Roger Wilkerson

I thought about that. I saw a Dixon 36" walk behind 15 hp belt drive for 1672.00 today (new 05) my concern is that I am a 300 lb guy and I don't know how well that mixes with a sulkie or a velkie
  6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

hustler does not have a mini_z with those specs.
    u likely found the fast-trak or homeowner model.
  7. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

30 degree slopes, that's as steep as the banking at Bristol Motor Speedway!!!
    if its that steep, u best get a weedeater and hope you can stand/walk the slope.-no machine will hold it.
  8. Roger Wilkerson

You are probably right, like I said I am a rookie, I just checked and it is a mini fastrack. anyhoo.....thirty is just eyballin it but I can tell you my grandaughter got going so fast on a saucer last winter she shot right between my legs and I was left holding a that sound like a decent deal for the mini fastrack?

9. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have the 17/42 mft. i know we are getting out of that 3k firm range, but the 42 incher has more trim capability (4 inches vs .5 inches). this means less time with the trimmer, more time with the wife, or dog or bud, or whatever....i have a ditch that is approaching 30+ degrees, the mft will go up, but you have to be smooth with the controls or she wants to will go across, but it is easier to just get the push mower for this little bit of work....i'm a bit of a risk taker, or so the wife says, but the thought of a piece of 600 lb steel with blades spinning at 18k ft/sec doing sommersaults with me on it, scares me....... you should be able to find a 17/42 mft for about $3500-3800. it will last you many years and do you really want to walk 2 acres ?????????? the 17/42 will cut 2 acres in 1.5 hours or so, depending on terrain, obstacles, etc.......
  10. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and I looked at the JD X320 this weekend, very nice machine. The 48 deck would work great for you. I bought an exmark walkbehind 48" metro when I moved into my new home and I am looking to get rid of it. It cuts nice, very nice (and clogs up too) but unless you walk the hill sideways all the time, you will be running after the thing going up and down the hill or locking the tires and ripping up sod. Try to demo the units on your own lawn and then make a decision. You can't go wrong as long as you like to operate the machine and are comfortable with it.