Need some quick help with small sod/mulch job...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ALarsh, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well i'm bidding this small sod job - 216 square feet. The lawn died due to improper care and too much traffic on the lawn from children playing. Customer wanted two quotes- one for sod and one for playground chips. Can you take a look at my two proposals and let me know what you think? I have not given the estimate yet, so please tell me what you think. I'm thinking I might be a little high. Pics are below

Here is what I plan on doing for sod and estimated time in minutes:

Clean Up
    Roto Till
    Shovel, removing dirt (as you can see from the pics, the dirt is raised up)
    Dirt Removal
    Top Soil
    Level and finish prep for sod
    Clean up

Cost of materials: $134
    Estimate: $489

EXPENSES (excluding gas, pick up sod, topsoil and starter fert. and labor):
    Roto Tiller - $51 / day
    Top Soil - 7 40lb bags $6.86
    Sod - $44
    Starter fertilizer - $32

And for the mulch quote:

Clean Up
    Roto Till
    Shovel Removing dirt
    Dirt Removal
    Mulch installation
    Clean Up

Possibly adding a border because it comes right up to a sidewalk??

Costs of materials: $139
    Estimate: $437

EXPENSES (excluding gas, picking up mulch and labor):
    Roto tiller - $51 / day
    Playground chips - $88

This is my first sod job so I appreciate the help.

2. ALarsh

from Midwest

And the other pic.... Thanks

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

stone dust would be better than wood chips
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the grass. It won't last long in such a small area with several kids running around on it.
  5. ALarsh

from Midwest

Thanks for the responses. What do you think about the prices? What would you quote for this area? I have a feeling that $437 for mulching that area isn't going to sit well with the customer.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, sod is out. 1/3 the area is toys anyways, so that sod will be dead. Then the area in front of the sand box will be dead from all the sand the little rats will drag out.
    Dig out about 4-5 inches of soil, lay down landscape fabric and do the playground chips like you stated. I'd push a little closer to $600-$700. I'm guessing the area might be like 10 or 12 x 20 or something like that. Taking out 4-5 inches would be a few yards of soil. Add the chips and fabric cost. 8 hrs labor.

These jobs are always tough to bid because they seem so trivial to the customer that $600 or $700 will probably freak them out. Though I don't care anymore because I'm in business to make money. I can stay home and not make profit, not money, but profit.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would propose to install a rubber court system in that small area. I saw this product at my local Lowes in the flooring dept. Its a rubber mat system that fits together like tongue and groove and comes in several colors. The kids are obviously small so this would be a wise investment with practically no maintenance for several years. Grass and mulch would be an ongoing maint costs.

Check out this link for the concept.
  8. ALarsh

from Midwest

9. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Iam figuring it is a 15x15' area. So that said it is 225 sqft. So if you dig it down 3" that will be 2 yds of excess dirt u need to truck out and then probably 1 yd of nice dirt to be brought in. I would figure as follows if i was you:

Sod 225 x $.30 = $67.50
    Topsoil removal 4 hrs x $40 = $160
    new topsoil 1 yd $25
    old topsoil disposal $50
    machine rental $45
    time to lay the sod 3hrs x $40 = $120
    site clean up 1.5 hrs x $40 = $60

total $527.50 is what i would charge if i was you in your position. If you need to dispose of any dirt you can call me up and drop it off at my shop/yard, which is right down the road from there on hwy 16 and capitol dr. Also if i have extra sod which i do alot of times i could give it to you at a big disount. Good luck and let me know how it goes. If you have any other ?'s feel free to give me a call.

10. ALarsh

from Midwest

I ended up quoting $490 for sod and $440 for mulch. I doubt i'll get it but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the offer on the dirt drop off/sod prices. I was driving back to that boat storage place and saw your trucks parked in the yard. Looks great! :waving: I think I also saw you out plowing in the white Ford w/ Blizzard during the last little snowstorm.

I'll let you know if I get the job, didn't sound to promising when I left the quote but you never know.