Need some quick imput on acreage qoute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mo-fleet, Jul 5, 2005.

1. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

I mow for a customer who asked me about mowing a 10 acre field in addition to what I mow now, possibly every 2 weeks. I don't have a bush hog to get it knocked down and the ground it rough as hell. What is a decent price if I buy a bushhog tractor? I am also looking at a 5.5 acre lot to mow once a month as well. Hourly rate? By the acre? Tell me.

Please don't ask technical expence questions and say unless you tell me all of your numbers I can't help you. I just want a ball park to start with. I am sure that this kind of work is more than the average $45 hr mowing charge. Thanks.

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you on contract with them if so for how long becouse i would be a little leiry on buying a machine just for one persons property. And i would go higher that $45.00 a hour maybe $60.00 or maybe even a little higher becouse lets say you do a acre a hour thats 10 times 60 which equals $600.00 so i would try to do it for 60 a hour.

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine bush hogs with a 22 hp kubota, 4 foot mower for 125 an hour. He's on the NY Connecticut border.
    It can't be very productive, but they pay it.
    I would look into rental before I bought a tractor for 1 job as well.

4. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the ideas. Is there anyone who does bush hogging on a regular basis? Maybe a couple large lots or fields a month? I'd like a couple more ideas from someone who does this regularly. Thanks.

5. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We do lots of jobs involving grass that has been 4-5ft across the entire lot.

We have done up to 15 acres using a single 72" John Deere front mount. The thing is really a finishing mower but doubles as a bush hog. You have to make sure your blades are sharp to do this sort of thing and you should have someone walk your cut line infront of you if you're unfamiliar with the property.

We've done probably $1,500 damage to this machine in the past 2 years doing these jobs, but the revenues generated are most likely $25,000+.

IF you ever do property's that can use a 72" test out the Deere's, absolutely amazing!!!

Just an idea...

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

As an additional note, you will want to grease the nip's regularly with this kind of stress on your machine! Maybe even a few times on the PTO during these jobs...

We do roughly 30 acres of random areas a month to give you an idea.

Rough work, but price it very high and it will be worth it! Don't work like a mule for peanuts.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats his name? I know a guy with a similar machine in the same area.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

We do some "bushhogging" for commercial customers. Normally I get around $50-$75 / hour, depending on the property, if there's anything to mow around, etc.

We use a 43 hp Kubota, with the cab and airconditioning, with a 6' pull behind.

It's kinda nice to get off the ZTR once in a while, climb up in the air conditioning and turn on the radio and set the cruise to 4.5 mph.

9. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

How many jobs do you do and what's the acreage? Just curious. Thanks again.

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

hi i live on about 20 acres and i use an L3410 kubota tractor and 5 foot bushawg and i can cut 2.5 foot grass and hay in about5 or 6 hours including around numerous trees.this is just to let you know how much time it may take.