Need Some Serious Direction!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CompletePropertyCare, Jan 9, 2006.

1. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I’m planning on doing about 60/40 residential/commercial this summer. I have shored up a couple accounts here and there but I have a problem, I do not have a mower. The average residential is an acre to an acre ½. The all have a fair amount of trees shrubs etc. The commercial is more wide-open but still fair amount of obstacles to deal with. Can I buy one mower to suit my needs or do I need two??? Not sure what to go with. 48,52,61 , exmark, hustler, ferris, walk behind , zero turn. Obviously I need some direction.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

id start with a walk behind, look for something used...its more versital

dont forget your insurance and proper state and county licencing.... cant do commercials with out it, maybe you already have it, but very unusual to have the needed insurance and licence before you have a mower....

3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

if you want one mower to do all go with a smaller deck at first and work your way up. if you get a 60" deck and can only get through a 50" that machine is useless to you for that job. Go with a 48" or 42" to start and work bigger. I would get a walkbehind at first with a sulky, or a small ZTR.

4. CompletePropertyCare

In the process of each. A good friend of the family is helping a great deal with understanding insurance/liscensing but I want some other insights. Are there good bagging systems for the walk behinds?

5. daveintoledo

yes there are, but unless your doing spring or fall clean up, why would you want to bag, takes longer, you have to charge more,
    and your robbing the turf of needed nutrients...

6. CompletePropertyCare

Okay, I understand that. I assumed (1st mistake) that a mojority of home owners would ask that clippings be bagged. If the mower mulches well I guess a bag isn't needed?

7. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

We collect all of our customers grass except for a couple (4 out of about 40). It leaves the lawn looking better. Bagging is an option that some customers want and don't mind paying a little extra for. Not collecting the grass is easier and faster though, only when the grass is short.

8. daveintoledo

if you do a search on the subject, you will find the majority of people do not bag..... seems to be a location thing.... even in the spring , most people here will double cut before bagging.... but if you have someone who isist on having the clippings removed, make shure you charge alot extra for it...

for me, a 35 dollar lawn will be 50 if i bag it

9. CompletePropertyCare

even If you double cut?

10. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

If you purchase a mower that is larger than a 32" you will not get in most back yards, the gates are too small. some customers may have larger gates but most are 36". I bag all of my residential and none of the commercial.Good luck.