Need some serious help finding good tree for wet area

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We bought this house 3 years ago. Down in the backyard is where all the neighborhood water drains. It is the lowest area in the neighborhood. The first 2 years it was perfectly fine down there and I had no issues cutting it. Well the tree that was there broke in half in a bad storm and we had to cut it down last fall and the tree guys told me I would likely have water issues without that tree because it was a variety that absorbs a lot of water. Now this spring that area is holding water like crazy and I am having a hell of a time cutting it. Only been able to cut a couple sections of it twice so far this spring.

Here is the tree that was cut down. It is the one at the bottom of the yard. I think they told me it was a cypress but I cant remember for sure. Doesn't look like a cypress to me. Looks more like some kind of Ash tree? They said it was probably planted there for the very reason of absorbing water due to it being in a low area. I think they were right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What kind of tree should I plant there. I need something that will survive obviously but I want something that will really absorb a lot of water like the tree that was there previously. I never had any water or mud down there until we cut that tree down.

2. Look at a willow.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

River birch

4. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet gum
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mishmosh

mishmosh LawnSite Member
    from OH

Dawn redwood. They look great when you plant a few of them together and they grow up fast. You can get some bare root stock for cheap (MI grower) come late fall.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Bald cypress

Willow
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

1+ for the bald cypress. They are a tree that will survive in a swamp.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Bigfoot willow

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anybody have any clue from the pictures what kind of tree that was down in the bottom?

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

One in the Lawn that has stripes you have a closer pic of it