Need some stick edger help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by white1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

Wanting to get one for some first time customers and a few with corner lots. The dealer I bought everything else from carries Shindiawa, and Red max. Im not sure how much use its gonna get, and after getting laid off and going from part time to full time with my lawn business, Im kinda tight on funds at the time. Im picking up more customers every week, but not "comfortable" right now. Ive seen Echo, Stihl, and a few other brands thrown out, and I know of a few places (other than box stores) that carry them, but what are some other recommendations, or what do you recommend even if it is one I listed? Thanks

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do you have an idea as to how much you can spend? I can recommend a couple of Stihl edgers, but I don't know if they would be over what your willing to spend. Do your self another favor and stay out of the big box stores for your equipment.

3. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

Im definatly gonna stay out of the big box stores. Ive been leaning toward the Shindiawa LE 242, or LE 261, or the Red Max 2401, but they are all in the $400 price range. Id love to find one for closer to $200, but I dont want to buy junk either. Worst come to worst, Ill pick up a cheap(er) one for now, then upgrade when Im a little more financially comfortable.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl! get a good one and you won't have to worry about it!:dancing:

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Stihl FC75 and a Shindaiwa LE261, the shindy is the better unit, hands down. But I dunno, Redmax makes the best stuff outhere.

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

See that's a tough one, the only machines I can recommend that are even close are the Stihl FC75 $329.95 (25.4cc's) or the Stihl FC90 $349.95 (28.4cc's). The only other machine from Stihl that would be perfect for your working conditions would be the Stihl FC110, this guy is a little pricey @ $459.95, but it's rated at 31.4cc's so it's a beast. You could also explore the Stihl Kombi system, I bought a KM 130 R Power head, String head attachment and a Straight shaft edger attachment for it. A KM 130 R power head and the straight shaft edger retails for $559.90. That may seem rather steep, but if you think about it it makes sense as you have a bunch of other attachments that you can buy for it, it's also a more powerful unit than Stihl's FC110 @ 34.1cc's Vs the KM 130 R @ 36.3cc's.

Sorry for such a long post, but I always try and give as much info as possible. Good luck with your decision.

7. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just use my trimmer on most yards. They just want their grass cut cheap as possible. I have a few yards that want a higher level of service and I use my Echo Edger. I bought the most powerful one they make (think I paid $400.00, but I don't remember). If your customers want a higher level of service and willing to pay for it, I would save for a good edger that has some power.

8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Go with Stihl's FC 90. It ain't too bad at $329.

9. Scagman61

Scagman61 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i use my echo stick edger once in the spring and get a good hard edge on all the drives, curbs, and walks. the rest of the year (if you do it every week) i use the the weed-eater & get just as good if not better results. maybe you should consider renting one for a weekend and edge everything to save $$$ if you dont want to drop $400?

10. f1r3w4ll

f1r3w4ll LawnSite Member

Go with Shindy