1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some suggestions for type of leaf vac

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pflat1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

Looking for suggestions on some type of leaf vac for res. homes. Yes I have searched .

Like to find something that mulches cause most homes Im hauling away.

Looking at trac-vac (model 470) , Billygoat (MV multivac) , Cyclone rake (commerical pro)

If the Trac-Vac mulches (not sure if it does) I think that would be the one for me.

Any ideas , thoughts or comments on these or others?

Currently have for leaf removel :
    3 Scag 36 WB
    2 Stihl Blowers
    Rake & Tarp

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

My CR does not mulch, but either my rider or it still shreds leaves up pretty good. If I can't dump the leaves somewhere on the prop, seems like the bags are just as heavy as when using gators and Accelerator with the leaf extender on a wb. I use the same size bags either way.
  3. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

I was thinkig the CR mulched , under the features it talks about mulching http://www.cyclonerake.com/features.htm
    but I guess not
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Bought my CR used, about 3-4 years old now, not the big model. The impeller has no mulching features but I guarantee a 39 gal. plastic bag is as heavy as I want to lug. If I could pack it in the bag heavier I wouldn't. Most of that chopping has to be from the lawn tractor I think. I do not mulch first, just go straight to picking up the leaves.

CR has an option called power bagger, really it is just six plastic folding boxes or cannisters that go inside the big canvas bag on wheels. They are not tall enough, don't fill evenly, and are difficult to position in the unit, takes way too much time. I think they were around $150 and don't recommend them. I used them once and tried to give them to my wife for gardening and she don't use them either. Don't waste money on it if you get a CR. But I'm satisfied with the CR in everything else.
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I should say that I have not used the other units you are looking at and those might be much better units. All I can do is convey my experience with the CR.
  6. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

I use the cyclone rake. It is awesome. Highly recommended
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Salsco out of CT makes some very nice units, including one with a 16 HP engine. Briggs Vanguard I think.
    look at salsco.com
    Lesco used to handle some of Salsco's stuff. They may still.
  8. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

good stuff so far , thx alot