Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by iowa, Oct 15, 2007.

1. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

What do you think of the plants I placed here? There are boxwoods on the right, minuet weigela along the front, two roses in the middle, and karl foerster along the back side. Does this look alright or is there something I should change?

U.S. Bank 1.jpg

U.S. Bank 2.jpg

S6001392.jpg

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Words of Wisdom: never plant in pairs. Always use odd numbered groupings. it's easier on the eye, and doesn't establish dominance like pairs do. I'm in the south, so we don't use those plants, but it seems simple and good though.

3. ballstar

ballstar Banned

looks fine, but add one to the pairs. what program are you using?

4. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like traffic comes from both sides. Use your tall plantings in the middle. Also as said above, plant in odd numbers

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I definitely agree with the odd numbers and taller towards the center, but I usually avoid planting boxwood too close to a door. Some folks find the scent of boxwood to be highly offensive. If you can, try a dark mulch to really set that bed off from the surrounding concrete. Would be nice if you left an area open for seasonal plantings, maybe the point. But if the client likes it and you can fine tune a bit, go with it.

Ballstar, I believe that is Pro Landscape. It is quite versatile and a great presentation and selling tool.

Kirk

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would look more towards plants that can tolerate standing water and poor drainage.The boxwoods and rose aren't going to like having wet roots.They're both susceptible to root rot,moreso than other plants.
    Any chance you could plant it seasonally with warm and cool weather annuals?

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with this. Only thing I might add is some perennials and/or ornamental grasses. Do you have any nice evergreen ornamental grasses in your area like Festuca 'Elijah blue' or Carex 'evergold' or even a dwarf phormium tenax. Some of those would fill in the remaining open areas in that landscape. Not too many. Just a few....

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing you have to do is to understand what is going on in and around the site. It looks like it might be an ATM at a bank. It also looks like it might be a drive through. Whatever it is, you have to determine what is important to do or not to do in terms of safety and security should these be an issue. Someone pointed out the puddling as well.

If that is an ATM, you don't want to screen it or create a hiding place that might make it easier for criminal activity.

If it is a drive through, you have to consider the potential conflicts between pedestrians and cars. Again, you don't want to make it harder for a driver to see a pedestrian. You also don't want to distract a person from recognizing the situation and not pay attention to it.

Check out the cross slopes on the pavement to determine if the water will drain around the planting area if it is brought up to grade. If it will, you don't have to use plants that tolerate that much moisture.

You also need to recognize that you have foot traffic and a dropped edge into that planter is a potential for a twisted ankle or other injury. That is much more likely to happen if pedestrians are sharing this space with vehicles as they will tend to move toward the edge as a car passes by.

These things may be non-issues in this situation depending on what that building is and how it is used, but you need to think beyond aesthetics especially in commercial situations. Sometimes aesthetics have to take a back seat to other values or are at least heavily influenced by them.

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Did you even look at the picture?

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you think I did not?