Need some suggestions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Feb 21, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This year I will be maintaining an infiltration basin for a 12 home development. This is a rather new concept, as it differs from your normal 'retention' basin. A retention basin collects the runoff from the new development and 'pipes' it out of the basin. An infiltration basin uses speciality grasses on the floor of the basin. Some of these grasses have root systems up to 10' deep. The though process is these root systems would allow the water to percolate down through the floor of the basin. Much time and money was spent engineering this basin.

Now to my question: The floor of this basin needs to be aerated once a year to the depth of 10". What would you recommend the best way to accomplish this. Mind you, only 3,000 square feet need to be aerated. I have a few ideas, but I dont want to "taint" your response.Thanks

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

When I was landscaping we used to dig or orga a hole as deep as need be and fill it with road base, (clean stones about 1" or so.) and then put a weed mat or cloth over that then turf over. This was done in any low point so the water could get through the crust for drainage. Seemed to work well for us! There was little or no maintenance on them. There is a name for them but I just cant think of it. :dizzy:

3. KenH

from CT

Thanks...The only thing is, they are pretty specific about performing the exact specified maintenance. They need to have it aerated once a year, I cant really change that. Is what you are referring to called vertical mulching??

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am watching this post, as I am really interested in how you are going to get to the required depth. You could do this many different ways but each of them that I am thinking of would be one hole at a time and that would be crazy.

Gravely_Man

5. KenH

from CT

GM--- That was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. The thing I was banking on was the area is not that large. I am open to all ideas.

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of aeration?

Core aeration, I have no idea right now.
    I was thinking along the lines of a sub-soiler. We use to run a sub-soiler every two years in high compact areas and in wet spots on our farm ground. We went down almost 2 1/2 ' in some areas.
    We used a 2+2 with an eight foot tool bar. I'm sure they make smaller units for compact tractors. I'll try to get a picture of the one we used (sold at an auction).

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that there are some MFG that make spike type aerators that mount on tractors and really punch the holes. If memory is correct I think up to like 12" too. Might could rent one of these. I will post any MFG of these if I can remember who they are, or find their literature.

Other than that, might get a bunch of cordless drills and drill them out. With a very long bit you could mark the depth and be total sure you are at the required setting.

8. KenH

from CT

Thanks...Another thing I was thinking is rigging up 2 or 3 of those steel soil samplers on a shovel like shaft. This could get my 2 or 3 holes at one. We are not allowed to take tractors into the basin, small machines are OK.

9. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

10. KenH

from CT

Zq8

That would be perfect, except I cant bring that tractor in.:mad: