Need some tips on plant choice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 18, 2008.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants some hideous boxwoods yanked and replaced with something "pretty". It's an office building, and the bed is about 2' deep, 30' long against the building. It gets afternoon and evening sun, and has NO irrigation. Not even an outside spigot to water from. There are of course windows to consider and not too much overhang into the parking lot.

I was thinking about a Nandina, but those are pretty plentiful in other beds. I was also thinking about Ligustrum, but some have said that these can attract bees and wasps. There's an entry door beside this border bed as well as people walking by it. Don't want them to have an issue with people getting stung often.

Needs:
    Something VERY hardy that the summer GA sun and no water won't affect.
    Something that doesn't spread too much and stays or can be kept neat.
    Would provide a nice look against red brick.

I'd appreciate any information you can provide, thanks.

2. FIRESCOOBY

Anyone????

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How about Ilex crenata (Japanese Holly)?

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Walters viburnum? Illex Shilling holly is another although I believe anything you put in at first will need to be watered for at least a short time. You may have to put a watering truck in service for a month to ensure survival.

Nandina is a horrible choice in my opinion. They are about as invasive as can be almost impossible to control in the beds.

I hate the ones in our front flower beds. I am constantly pulling out roots that are sprouting all over the freaking place.

5. FIRESCOOBY

Yeah, I'll plan on carrying water with me every week and trying to see if the client will do his best to water.

I'll look into those suggested...THANK YOU!!

6. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

how bout indian hawthorne with variagated liriope

7. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Do you guaranty the plants you install for any time frame? One thing I learned years ago was to never plant anything without a water source. For trees and shrubs a drip system is the way to go. I think you'll find out after a couple of weeks of hauling in water what a major nightmare it has turned out to be.

8. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

thought of another...Elaeagnus. Very easy to grow.

9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Indian Hawthorne.

Loropetalum would work as well (I would suggest "Suzanne," they'll be easier to keep neat and uniform).

10. FIRESCOOBY

Definitely not in this case, and they understood why.