1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some weed ID help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Nov 4, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

This is showing up in a ton of my tall fescue yards in my area of NC. I'm not the best at weed ID's and this one resembles several. Comparing it to pics on the net it looks like goosegrass but I'm not sure. Can anybody help?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

do you have a pic of the seed head? If you do I'll be able to tell you if it's goose grass or not real fast.

it possibly could be spike grass. but thats a long shot.
  3. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

TC, that's a NC strain of Maui Wowie. For a quick check, light one end and see if any old hippies show up.
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

put up a pic of in the yard. That might help with the i.d. Looks to me like goose grass or maybe crab grass, though hard to tell from that pic.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Man i would like to have it in my hat.
  6. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

goose grass
  7. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I'm curious why you guys think this is goose grass, since its a summer annual and should be dying out now...Goose grass is easy to id by the wagon wheel white center....Did this just show up or has it been in your yards all summer??
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

they would show up if I lighted that had a remote smell of maui wowie.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

That looks alot like some form of common bermuda.I take it that it hasn't just appeared now,since it's looks well established and the upper portion looks as though it's been under dirt(as in running)
  10. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

My first thought was that of NickN but it would be helpful if you had a picture of it in the grass. then I could tell for sure