need soooo much help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmusic, Jul 4, 2004.

1. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

Does anyone mow with the kubota zg line? Any info on these is greatly appreciated. Trying to decide if I want one for 5800.00
    just dont know anything about them execpt for the good financing offer.The mower will be for medium commercial use. pleeeeaaaasssse help me.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at how the Kubota ZG units compare to Deeres and Exmarks and they look pretty close. The Kubota deck is 10-gauge all around whereas the Exmark deck is 10 on top, 7 on the sides, so a little more durability there.

On the other hand, welded decks, like those on the Exmark, tend to clump up a bit more during heavy/wet mowing than a single-piece deck, which is what the Kubotas appear to have. This is my opinion, anyway.

Truth be told, I'm not sure you could go horribly wrong with Kubota, Exmark, Deere, Scag or several other brands. They're really not all that different as far as I can tell. Some will say otherwise, but the companies that have been in the market for a long time, which includes all the above, have stayed in for a reason: They make pretty good machines that will do the job so long as they're well matched to the job.

Many on this site insist that the dealer is the real clincher when it comes to picking a machine. If you like the Kubota and have heard a lot of good things about the dealer, you should be in good shape. If, on the other hand, the dealer has a reputation for stiff-arming its customers...stay the H-E-double toothpicks away from them, no matter what they sell unless they're really the only game in town.

3. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

thanks for your reply.The kubota dont look as industrial as some of the other mowers i have looked at but i know they have been around for a long time.The dealer assures me they are commercial qaulity.Im just worried about blade tip speed(16000).like the financing deal but its not worth it if the mower is not good and sturdy.The kubota seems like the cadilac but want to make darn sure its a work horse.In their lititure it does not have any info on wheel motors and pump size or anything on the spindles.I worry about that because most of the others push those features. still confused and have to make decision next week by the 9th.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--I don't understand the clumping issue and the welded deck?

I would think the reverse would be true.

if not, why is it hard to even find a commercial unit that is not a welded deck?

GEO :confused:

5. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Madmusic-

I gave a good hard look at the Kubotas before I ultimately purchased another brand. However, the best price I found locally was $600 more for the 48" than you quoted. I was very impressed with the machine. I thought it cut very cleanly.
    Don't worry about the wheel motors. They use a 1 piece system of sorts that is as wide as the frame and has been around for quite some time. I had two different dealers tell me that it is the same sort of system used in their 30 or so horsepower diesel tractors that have been on the market for years. One of them told me they provide routine service on a unit with 10000 hrs! (if you can believe that). I actually considered the Kubota system a strong point of the unit.