1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need square footage conversion table

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RoyalZ, Mar 23, 2005.

1. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I am trying to find a conversion table from Square feet to feet. Example I can look up the dimensions of someones yard on the public realestate sites. Thus a typical small residential lot is 50 wide by 120 long. I want to get better at just looking at the ground and estimating square footage. Any suggestions?
  2. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a GPS systyem for just that. The down side is you have to walk or ride the property.

Wouldn't that property be 6000 sg ft?

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean? The question makes no sense.

Square feet: Unit of area measurement
    Feet: Unit of linear measurement

Area is calculated from linear measurements. Your question has been answered: 50X120=6,000 sq ft. What else are you wanting to learn?

Equation: lengthXwidth = area
  5. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I want to get better at judging a 1000 sqaure feet versus 5000 versus 10,000 ...Thanks for the reply and the math I am looking at proerpties on the web and they give the dimensions but in reality the areas for mowing etc are not exact and the owner may have planted bushes etc.
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

In order to do that, you're just gonna have to get out there and walk the property.

Looking at a flat plat on the computer screen isn't going to show the trees, the beds, the swing set, etc. It isn't going to show the steep grade in the back yard or the ditch in the front.

Sq. ft is sq. ft. It is 2 dimensional. It can't be converted to linear feet.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

OK - your goal is a good one. I think you want to get an idea of the property, just from stated dimensions from a web page. Yes, share your concern.

I see you are quite new to the business. I make a point of getting areas of all my customers, write them down in the journal I keep for all work done for a customer. Keeping this information in the back of my mind, experience will help to make estimates for future properties. In other words, if you learn from the web page the dimensions, hence the area, then you can think back (or refer back to your records), "... this one I'm considering is about the same area as customer XXXX." Make it a point to know the areas of each customer for developing your estimating skills. It will take time to develop the skill. Also, if you visit a property for the first time to make an estimate, try to make a visual inspection first, make a mental guesstimate, measure, and learn how close you came. Time and experience will make your skills better.

Maybe the process has worked differently for others, but that's been my experiece over eight seasons of work.