Need Start-up Tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jaymo, Jun 5, 2006.

1. jaymo

jaymo LawnSite Member
    from WA

Would like to get the best tips possible on what I need to do to start up by next spring.
    Here's my current situation:

I have no experience, no money but plan on saving, no equipment, and no truck to put or pull equipment in.

Want I would like to know is what can I do right now so I can be ready for next spring. Do I need schooling, work experience, etc. Please reply with best tips. Thanks!

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever run equipment, done lawn work etc?
    If not work for someone for a few years first!

3. jaymo

jaymo LawnSite Member
    from WA

Yes but it has been almost 10 years. I know the basics but isn't there a lot more I should or need to know?

4. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

There is no substitute for seat time
    Im working p/t with my neighbor right now and have a few of my own I do
    My plan is to continue this thru this year and grow my accounts and cut back on working with my neighbor

You can observe a lot by watching
    Yogi Berra

5. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I worked landscape for 8 years before I had the money to start my own....But knew all the plants names from being on my high schools horticulture team. Know your plants and all you can about this industry ,it will vastly improve your chances of success!

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your really not in the position to succeed... you need more education first....:)

and this is a good place to start.. work for someone else for a while and learn what is up...

7. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Ok heres the first suggestion Get a truck then go from there.

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

and a LAWN MOWER, trimmer and blower. Then Hand out flyers, Don't worry about working for someone else to gain experience you can learn all you need as you go.

Business cards and a cell...you need them to. Eye protection for when you're trimming. You need a ramp, even 21" mowers are heavy.

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Well that would come in really handy at a nerd convention (just kidding) buts its just grass. Grass grows, cut it. thats 99% of what you do, workmanship and reliabilty are far more important than an encylopedic knowledge of horticulture.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its not mowing grass, its RUNNING A BUSNIESS or your just like the other low ballers out there after expenses making 8 bucks an hour...

you learn, by finding someone who has alreay succeded and emulating them... there are many here, but you have to know who is who..

so its way easier to find a local mentor

if he just goes at it blind like ever other guy mowing for beer money.. he will fail... and next year this conversation will be happening with a new person....