1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need starter mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Feb 13, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I dont know if this is a duplicate post or not , I applogise in advance if it is.

I need a recommendation for a mower. Im just starting out and all I have now is my typical home depot B&S lawn mower 21" I think.

Ill by concentrating on residential lots, something myserlf and another worker can handle in a reasonable time. Targeting elderly townhome communities, and newer upscale communities. Lots generaly les than .25 acre. Since $ is tight i wanna start small and grow as the profits grow.

What would you recommend I start with?
  2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

belt drive commercial mower about 2200 bucs give or take a few
  3. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I would look for a lightly used 36" belt drive fixed deck walkbehind. They are cheap and easy to find. II would not buy one that you can't get parts for quickly. Do you have Valley Trader in your area. Usually there are some good deals there. Try the trader online ads too. traderonline
  5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

If this is only mower, you really need a new mower. When you look back on things in a year or two, you will have wished you had gotten the right mower.
    If ur serious about getting into business, get a loan, even if it has to be for 3 years, you can pay it off when you have the money but payments will be reasonably low.
    You should have minimum a 48 or 52" hydro, I don't think of anything but exmark.
    This is like telling your kid not to have sex til ready or do drugs. You wonder how you can instill the right values into her that I didn't listen to my parents about when I was that age.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Depends on how much you're looking to spend. Could look for a used walk behind from Exmark or get a new quick 36 hydro.
  7. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

go for a belt drive walk behind, 32'' or 36'' so you can get through gates, hydros are nice but a belt drive is inexpensive and just as durable, add a stand on sulky later to be more productive
  8. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

If money is a problem, you might want to look at the new 26" eXmark coming out in April. I think the cost will be around $1300.00 to $1500.00. For another $500.00 to $700.00 you can get a 36" mower. Biger is better!
  9. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Whats the difference between belt and hydro? and whats their pros and cons. I see a lot people prefer belt mowers apparently due to the ease of repairs. I dont have any experience with either but I am pret mechanical inclined.

As for money, I'd like to start out cheap, used preferably. Only because I ive already taken out a loan for over 8k in November to buy snow removal equipment for that aspect of the bizz. I figured I would start the biz in the winter since thier seemed to be better money on snow removal. And had it have snowed more than twice this winter I would have faired prety well.

I looked at the ebay item llisted and Ill keep my eye one the auction. I see the reverse doesnt work. Is reverse used much or can I do without it?
  10. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Go to your nearest commercial mower dealer and get them to show you all the ins and outs. They will probably try to sell the hydro which is best but it depends on what you can afford. A hydro is a true zero turn a belt turns by breaking one tire and piviting on that tire which will make a circle divit in the ground unless you get real good with it. Hydro turns by making one tire go forward and the other goes in reverse .. That is best i can explain it and keep it short...Get into a dealer and they will show you how to run each, just tell them you have never run any before